Finishing Up With Frozen Cakes

Decorating By alaurence Updated 11 Sep 2008 , 3:15pm by alaurence

alaurence Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alaurence Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 2:02pm
post #1 of 9

I'm making my first wedding cake for Saturday. I baked the cakes (4, 8, 12) in advance, filled them with strawberry buttercream, carved them, then wrapped them in cling wrap and froze them. I wanted to do them early in case there was some cake catastrophe. As it is, I'm worried the larger cake was slightly underdone, it was sticky, but it seems better now that its frozen.

Anyway, I'm finishing the cake Friday night. I was wondering when I should take the cakes out of the freezer and how long I should wait before frosting them. I was thinking I should take them out tonight, crumb coat them, and put them in the refrigerator until tomorrow. The buttercream filling had whipping cream in it and so will the icing on the outside, so I'm assuming I shouldn't leave the cakes out on the counter.

I'm worried I'm going to do something wrong and the cakes will taste terrible. Any suggestions on how to handle the next few days?

8 replies
CSMoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CSMoore Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 2:26pm
post #2 of 9

I would definitely take it out of the freezer today (early day) and let it thaw out for about 3 or 4 hours before unwrapping. Then unwrapping and let it sit for about 30 minutes to an hour to allow the condensation to dry before you crumb coat it.

BellaSweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BellaSweet Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 2:32pm
post #3 of 9

I have seen on here to NOT put your cakes in the fridge. I think it dries them out. I would do as the previous poster said.

alaurence Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 2:36pm
post #4 of 9

So, don't refrigerate them? Even with whipped cream in the icing? I don't want the cake to be dry, but I don't want to poison anyone either. Just want to be sure...

LetThereBeCake07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LetThereBeCake07 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 2:36pm
post #5 of 9

i never fridge my wedding cakes once they are crumb coated and decorated. The icing gets hard to work with and crack easy if bumped or during the stacking.

lflowermoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lflowermoon Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 2:47pm
post #6 of 9

Whipped cream must be refrigerated, there is NO choice! It will spoil within a few hours. icon_sad.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 2:57pm
post #7 of 9

The cake didn't have whipped cream on it, just a bit of whipping cream in the buttercream. There's so much sugar in the buttercream that what I'm imagining as a couple of tablespoons of whipping cream in the buttercream does NOT pose a health risk if it's left outside refrigeration.

lflowermoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lflowermoon Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 2:57pm
post #8 of 9

My last cake was in the fridge until delivery because the filling was buttercream with real butter and milk . After that, it was at room temperature for 3 hours and was fine even if it was covered in fondant. The cake sweats a little, but there are not major changes.

alaurence Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 3:15pm
post #9 of 9

In the whole huge batch of filling, there was about 4 oz of whipping cream and 1 c of butter. Should be the same for the buttercream on the outside.

I'm thinking if I refrigerate it up until its time to transport, it should be ok to sit out during the reception.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%