Hurricane Ike

Lounge By suzylynn58 Updated 18 Sep 2008 , 3:49am by Launa

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 7:52am
post #31 of 49

Way up here in North Texas, we are just expecting wind and rain later today, but looks like we will be on the outskirts of the worst of it.

I'm watching TV coverage, and it is scary as heck to me! I can't imagine being down there in all of that. I hope everyone will be all right. Hang on everyone and be safe.

alracntna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alracntna Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 2:36pm
post #32 of 49

we are getting slammed now but we have not lost power but my dad is in navasota and they have no power. we are all ok just a little worried about the wind gusts. they are up to 60-70 mph. some trees are down and some power lines are down they just showed down town on the news and there are windows blown out and gutters ripped off. we still have several hours to go so this maybe the last time i can get on. i don't know what is going to happen with the power. we are just waiting. everyone stay safe!

Launa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Launa Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 8:30pm
post #33 of 49

Hi Everyone -

My dear husband plugged the computer into the generator so I could do my "cake thing" on-line!! He's such a sweetie!

We lost power around 4:45 this morning. We have 2 small trees down and several large limbs in our yard, but no damage, praise the Lord! We are all safe and dry and now just trying to find things to do without power. They said it could be 2 weeks before we have electricity again. We're finding creative ways to make meals, bathe and flush toilets! (and with 6 kids, we flush a lot!!) icon_redface.gif

Thanks for all your prayers....it was so comforting to know that ya'll were out there thinking of me last night!!

Launa

famousamous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
famousamous Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 8:43pm
post #34 of 49

My house made it with minimal damage. Im on the Brazoria/ Fort bend county line....Lost a few trees but thats all. LOTS of people are with out power.

STAY SAFE EVERONE!!!! My thoughts are with you all. I hope your power gets up and running soon!

alracntna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alracntna Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 9:34pm
post #35 of 49

we are at the end of it!!!! the winds have died down but it is still raining...a lot! the news is talking about flooding now. what else does ike want to give us. well our power just flickered some but it never went out. for those of you who have no power or have damage to your homes, we are praying for yall. i hope things get back to normal for all of you soon.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 4:43am
post #36 of 49

My house suffered damage. Siding, carport, fences gone. Someone else's carport is in our pool. Minor water in the house. No power, no phone, no cell phone, no internet, no cable. Staying at my parents' (about a mile away from our house) where the power, phones, cable, and internet were all restored today. My sister's house (about a mile away from our house in the opposite direction of my parents' house) suffered roof damage and the ceilings in her house collapsed. Floors, furniture, belongings ruined. House uninhabitable. We are all staging at my parents' house (me, hubby, our 3 teenagers & my sister, her hubby, and their 3 kids ages 5, 7, and icon_cool.gif. Good thing my mom has a huge house!

Glad to hear the others are fine.

Sherri
Houston

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 10:03am
post #37 of 49

Glad to know you all are physically all right and no injuries to report!

Sherri, sorry for the damages you have suffered from Ike, but it is good that you all have a safe place to go while you regroup. I think this storm was so much more in some ways, and thankfully less in others, as they say frequently "it could have been so much worse!" I'm sure it doesn't feel like that to you and your family right now, though.

Everyone keep checking in, let us know how you are.
Way up here in northwest Dallas, we barely got light rain, no wind to speak of.

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 12:21pm
post #38 of 49

Oh, Sherri, so sorry to hear about yours and your sister's houses. Ike really wreaked havoc on our areas.

We were without power for about 24 hours, but had no damage to our home, thank God! The wind was horrendous. We left for Rita so I cannot imagine what that was like. We were in her direct path and the people who stayed said it was awful. The wind would start blowing and I would wonder if it was going to stop. Amazing!

My heart and prayers go out to all the people whose homes were heavialy damaged or destroyed.

Glad my CC friends are safe.

Susan

Aliwis000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliwis000 Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 7:50pm
post #39 of 49

We are still out of power over in Tomball. I amcurrently on a computer at my parents shop that has power. I have a feeling it will be many days till we get power at home. Luckly we bought a generator so at least there is some good news.

~Alicia

Pookie59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pookie59 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 1:23pm
post #40 of 49

My parents who live northwest of Houston (Magnolia) called Saturday morning and told me that during the height of the storm a huge oak tree (40-50 feet tall) fell on their house - major damage to roof and structure, hole in ceiling, rain pouring in. My husband and I drove down from Dallas on Sunday. It was pretty grim. No gas south of Centerville. No power from Huntsville south except in isolated pockets. My parents have a large generator so they have power but no water. We spent about 3 hours with chainsaws getting the tree off the house, hauling large branches and logs to the back of their property - barely made a dent in the clean up work needed. It's going to be rough for the people in that area for awhile.

tktexasgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tktexasgirl Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 1:33pm
post #41 of 49

Hey everyone, there are a lot of prayers needed in the Seabrook area. There are numerous people whose homes have completely vanished. The only sign of homes being in some places are concrete slabs. There are other areas that were not hit as bad but still have a lot of damage. Thank everyone for your thoughts and prayers.

VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 5:00pm
post #42 of 49

oh sherri, my heart breaks for you, i'm so sorry for the damage to you and your sisters home. I can't imagine how ya'll must feel, i'm glad no one was hurt and of course it could've been worse, but that probably doesnt make you feel better right now. Im praying and thinking of everyone who's homes have been damaged or destroyed and hope you guys recover soon.

Launa Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 6:21pm
post #43 of 49

Okay, I feel almost human again....this may sound silly to those of you outside of Texas, but I just had my first HOT shower since Friday and it felt SO GOOD!!!!! We have been taking quick showers using cold water, but this morning my husband was able to get other types of plugs and connect the hot water heater!! No more boiling water in the microwave to do dishes!! YEAH!!!! I even got to shave my legs!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Okay, maybe that was too much information.....

It's the simple things in life right now that matter!!

Sorry, just had to share my excitement with you!!

Launa

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 6:54pm
post #44 of 49

Launa, I am right there with ya, girl! I have never enjoyed a hot, soapy shower and shaving my legs more than last night! LOL

We still don't have power in our house and have discovered where some water came in that we didn't know about by the funky smells. Gross. My kids' school district only has power in 4 out of 15 schools so they don't go to school this week.

I can't wait until life returns to normal!!

Launa Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 11:54pm
post #45 of 49

I know, I'm ready for normal, too, however, I've heard that "normal" is just a setting on the washing machine!!!

We homeschool, so we're doing school during the day to keep some type of routine for our kids. They're starting to get bored.

Arriva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Arriva Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 2:53am
post #46 of 49

I work for an electric utility company, I've done NOTHING but work since Saturday morning. (I wanted to log on here tonight before I go to bed just to feel normal again). I haven't even seen a newscast since this whole thing started. Today, someone sent me a link that had pictures of the Galveston and Gilchrist areas. I couldn't believe my eyes. We had friends that used to have a beach house that we used before. I assume it is completely gone. My heart goes out to our South Texas friends and family.

famousamous Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 3:07am
post #47 of 49

Arriva, Ijust wanted to say I think all the elec. companys are doing a wonderful job! Really you guys are kick a**! thumbs_up.gif

famousamous Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 3:07am
post #48 of 49

Arriva, Ijust wanted to say I think all the elec. companys are doing a wonderful job! Really you guys are kick a**! thumbs_up.gif

Launa Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 3:49am
post #49 of 49

Well, we finally finished cleaning up our yard tonight and we were all wondering what would fill our daytime hours for tomorrow when we walked next door to our church (my husband is the pastor) and we found water outside. Evidently, the bottom of the water heater rusted out (it was in the attic....strange place for a water heater, I thought!) and all of our classrooms, restrooms, kitchen and fellowship hall were in 2 inches of water. Thankfully, the offices and auditorium were still dry. So, I guess we'll be tearing out carpet and sheetrock tomorrow!! Heaven forbid if we had a day to sit at home and do nothing!!!

Please pray for us and our church family as we deal with this, as well as dealing with not having electricity from the storm!! They're saying it could still be 2 more weeks before our power is restored.

Thanks for being there,
Launa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%