Is It Better To Buy Or Make Cake Boards?

Decorating By forthwife Updated 11 Sep 2008 , 1:49pm by bekahzzz

forthwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forthwife Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 4:34pm
post #1 of 12

I'm starting a fondant class tomorrow that require cake boards. I can buy the wilton ones but wonder if I'm better off making my own. If so, how to you guys make yours? What do you cover them with? Is it cheaper in the long run? Thanks!!!!

11 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 4:35pm
post #2 of 12

I buy them. By the case. icon_smile.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 5:23pm
post #3 of 12

I buy masonite boards pre-cut... time is money, and some things are worth a little extra expense for the convenience if it saves you a ton of time and extra work. Remember, the cheapest product doesn't always save you money in the long run!

leah_s Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 5:26pm
post #4 of 12

forth, are you talking about cardboard cake cirlces, or what goes at the bottom of the cake? I use cake drums for the bottom. Lighter weight than masonite, which I used to use. Hey pink, try a drum and I'll bet you'll like it.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 5:45pm
post #5 of 12

I use masonite as my cake circles (under each cake) AND as my cake board (base/presentation board). I use drums from time to time but I like my masonite, and since I'm already ordering it for my circles, it's one less item I have to keep in stock (and find room to store lol).

leah_s Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 6:08pm
post #6 of 12

I hear ya on the storage.

Hollysuann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollysuann Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 7:04pm
post #7 of 12

OK....I'll as the stupid question. What's a cake drum?

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 7:44pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by forthwife

I'm starting a fondant class tomorrow that require cake boards. I can buy the wilton ones but wonder if I'm better off making my own. If so, how to you guys make yours? What do you cover them with? Is it cheaper in the long run? Thanks!!!!

Hi Forthwife - If you are referring to the cardboard the cake sits on (e.g. 8" cake on 8" board - buy 'em - they are super cheap. I wrap mine in parchment paper.

If you are referring to the display board you have a lot of possibilities. If you are making for family, purchase a few nice masonite boards that you can reuse. If I'm sending out a cake for friends and don't think I'm going to get the board back, I'll cut out the shape and size I want from foamcore using an exacto knife. For the display board, I use several different mediums to cover (fondant, RI, decorative foils, etc...).

HTH

forthwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forthwife Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 3:18am
post #9 of 12

I'm referring to the board that goes on the very bottom of the cake. I know they can be purchased at craft stores, is there a place that's less better to buy them at? I just hate to spend $4-7 a piece knowing I probably won't get them back. Thanks!!

leah_s Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 12:56pm
post #10 of 12

If you're selling the cake, you build the cost into the overall price.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 1:34pm
post #11 of 12

I think you are referring to seperater plates.I factor them into the cost because most likely they never return them.As for the cardboard boards...hubby has found a paper company here that supplies many companies with honeycombed cardboard to wrap windows and doors in..I'm talking the thick stuff 1/2 an inch thick.We bought a lift of 200 sheets last summer and hubby cuts the boards to the size of my main cake boxes..and then custom cuts the bigger sizes.I get about 3 standard 19x14 boards from one sheet.I think it cost us about $300.00 dollars and we purchased under my hubby's construction company so it was really a cost saver!!

bekahzzz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bekahzzz Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 1:49pm
post #12 of 12

PinkZiab,

Where do you get you masonite circles? I've been looking for a supplier...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%