Italian Meringue Buttercream - Temperature Question

Decorating By LisaMS Updated 14 Sep 2008 , 2:55am by CakeRN

LisaMS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMS Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 3:02pm
post #1 of 7

Sorry. I didn't really know how to address this title.
-
I like IMBC, but my problem is it's a pain to find room in the refrigerator to store a cake iced in IMBC. I learned that I don't want to eat the cake right out of the fridge because the icing is too hard and tastes like butter if not thawed a little, but not sure (because of inexperience) exactly how long the cake needs to set out before it's ready for slicing. So two questions:
-
#1 How long should the cake set out at room temp before slicing/eating?
-
#2 What is the max time that a cake iced in IMBC can set out at room temp?

Thanks in advance for the info!

6 replies
SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 7:43pm
post #2 of 7

Mine are out for days - I do not fridge them as I have them covered in fondant and work on them for a few days before delivery.

As far as thawing them, I guess that all depends on how warm the weather is, a few hours should be fine.

LisaMS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMS Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 7:54pm
post #3 of 7

Really Laura? You can keep them out for days? I had no idea. I thought surely that icing had to be refrigerated.

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 8:01pm
post #4 of 7

I believe that the butter has a high acid content and the sugar stabilizes the egg whites - something like that, I'm sure someone else can correct me, but it is something close to that anyway.

But yes, you can leave them out. I use the same recipe as Duff Goldman and they work on their cakes for a few days without refrigeration. You can't really put the fondant in the fridge due to condensation.

I usually start a cake on Thursday that will be delivered on Saturday.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 8:20pm
post #5 of 7

Most recipes say it's safe at RT for 2 days. To be super safe, I'd recommend using pasteurized eggs.

To thaw: I find about 30 minutes is enough time. Just imagine a stick of butter. Within a few minutes of being out, it's already started to soften.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 2:01am
post #6 of 7

SweetResults...is Duff's recipe posted here?

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 2:55am
post #7 of 7

yes it is in the recipe section.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%