Why Do I Do This To Myself!

Decorating By angelcakes5 Updated 13 Sep 2008 , 5:49pm by Jocmom

angelcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakes5 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 1:37pm
post #1 of 10

Last August I did a wedding cake and I did a bday cake for the same day. I told myself I would never do that again because it was so much work and I was so tired. Well I really did it to myself this time. I have a 4 tiered wedding cake due on Saturday. Well I had someone call for a cake this Friday I said ok, then I had a guy at work want a small one too, I agreed. Last night I had a girl ask if I could make a petal shaped cake for Saturday, feeling bad because it was for a friend I said ok. Then I have a shower cake on Sunday. So I have 4 party cakes and 1 wedding cake. I work full time and have 2 young children!! Aghhhhh! Am I nuts or what?? Sorry I just had to vent.

9 replies
Pookie59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pookie59 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 4:51pm
post #2 of 10

I'm guessing you have a problem with saying, "sorry I'm already booked". Do you know any other bakers you can refer people to?

Sounds exhausting to me.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 9:00pm
post #3 of 10

Wow, that's a lot for a full-time baker never mind somebody that does this after working all day at a full time job......and has 2 small kids to care for.

I wish I could offer you a helping hand, but if you get stuck with anything you know there are a lot of great "friends" here to help you through it.

Pookie59 is right....there's nothing wrong with saying I'm all booked up for that date. It's good to be in demand thumbs_up.gif

Sending you good vibes for a successful baking week, good luck icon_smile.gif

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 1:34am
post #4 of 10

Oooh, I'm sending you good cake vibes as well! You might need to at least get a sitter for your busy weekend, then do the "I'm all booked up" mantra in the mirror!

I once (only once mind you) got crazy headed and took on eight cakes for one weekend. They were all for the three different days (Fri-Sun) but I still felt like crying oh so badly. NEVER again! I don't work outside the home (only cake) but I have two kiddies and one is disabled.

I now always tell my family, friends, regular cake patrons that I need at least two weeks notice and I still can't guarantee that I won't be booked. I also tell them to tell referrals the same for me. I usually have cake (even the freebies) lined up two months in advance and if they decide to call me one week before they know it might could be a NO icon_razz.gif

All good wishes and luck for your cakes this weekend! thumbs_up.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 6:17am
post #5 of 10

Wow that's a lot of cake! Here's a few extra good vibes coming your way! I'm sure you'll make it through, probably stressed but you'll make it through and I agree if you tell some of the folks your "booked" I'm sure they'll understand!

aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 6:29am
post #6 of 10

Three words...........JUST SAY NO!

Helpful hint.....Bake ahead and freeze the cakes
Make icing ahead and store, even color it. So that when you go to decorate its much easier.

good Luck

From another baker who doesn't say NO

Dee in AZ

cakehelp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakehelp Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 6:48am
post #7 of 10

Oh, I really feel for you! I'm just like you, can't say no to orders. I have taken on too much this weekend also, with five birthday cakes. Luckily no wedding though. I too work full time and have two kids. My MIL called the other day and wondered if the kids couldn't come and visit soon (they live in another town, an hour away), and I told her this weekend would be great! So, I can decorate day and night icon_smile.gif I also try to do as much as I possibly can manage on the weeknights before the weekend. I have to have all cakes baked and in the freezer before the weekend starts.

Good luck to you!

mtaccts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mtaccts Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 3:25pm
post #8 of 10

I feel your pain - last weekend I had 12 cakes plus a 4 tier wedding and 3 tier anniversary. I also work full time (and then some) and have 2 small children. Try the freeze ahead plan - saved me lots of grief come Thursday night. I baked the Sunday and Monday before and froze. Popped the cakes out before work on Thursday and they were go to go by the time I came home.

Good luck!

jlh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlh Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 3:38pm
post #9 of 10

I do this too. I love to bake and decorate, and I'm always up for a challenge. That's why we do it. The hubby and kids can order pizza on Friday night and head for McDonald's on Saturday night. Maybe hubby can fold a load of laundyr or two, and you'll be set. Good luck!

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 5:49pm
post #10 of 10

I finally learned to tell people, "Sorry - I'm already working on cakes for people that placed orders weeks ago." Then they get the hint that they need to call ahead instead of making you feel guilty for not filling their last minute order.

aztomcat - I love your avitar! Very fitting for this topic.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%