Crystallized Pieces In My Mmf

Decorating By mellormom Updated 12 Sep 2008 , 8:56pm by mellormom

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 2:29am
post #1 of 10

Why do I keep getting these little hard crystallized pieces in my fondant? They are everywhere when I roll it out. Should I be sifting my powered sugar? Or is it something else that is wrong?
Any help would be appreciated! icon_smile.gif
Jen...

9 replies
Shannie13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannie13 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 2:35am
post #2 of 10

I always sift my powdered sugar to avoid those little pieces, however you don't always get all of them. I would recommend sifting and also to try pulling out any you find you missed as you knead the fondant!
Good luck
Shannie

colabear71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
colabear71 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 2:36am
post #3 of 10

I'm new to making mmf, only made it twice. The first time, I also had little lumps. The second time I sifted my powdered sugar and I didn't have the problem. hth

JennaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennaB Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 2:48am
post #4 of 10

It could also be your salt. I only use kosher salt ans since it is more course, I find that I also get some lumps in my MMF. I just pick them out as I find them.

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 2:53am
post #5 of 10

You HAVE to sift your sugar that's was causes your little lumps and hard crystals comes from sugar. You also have to knead really good that helps for those pieces you didn't get. Hope it works!

mellormom Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 2:22pm
post #6 of 10

Thanks! Now I'm off to make two more batches of fondant! I don't have salt in my recipe so it must be the sugar.
Jen...

odm_post Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
odm_post Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 2:43am
post #7 of 10

Sorry if I 'hijack' icon_razz.gif

I always sifted my sugar, but I still have lumps. I just threw away 2 batches of my MMF yesterday icon_sad.gif What did I do wrong? Help!

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 3:07am
post #8 of 10

i had that show up in one of my batches...i always sift. i kinda feel like i nuked my marshmallows too long.

mellormom Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 10:14am
post #9 of 10

I figured out it is the sifting. Also that my strainer was letting some of the hard pieces through anyway. So I will use a strainer with smaller holes this time. You can still use the fondant you just have to take out the pieces. They are easy to see when you roll it out. Then you can pluck them out and roll again. Very annoying however!
Jen...

mellormom Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 8:56pm
post #10 of 10

latest Break though. I also discovered that when you use your KA that the powered sugar that is stuck to the sides should remain there. That is where most of my crystals were forming. Since I stopped using the sugar stuck to the sides I have cut my crystals by 3/4ths.
Jen...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%