Timeline Help!

Decorating By CrazyCakes13 Updated 11 Sep 2008 , 12:18pm by CrazyCakes13

CrazyCakes13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrazyCakes13 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 1:48am
post #1 of 6

This is my first major cake and I'm freaking out a bit. I work full-time so I have to work this around it. The cake is an 11x15" vanilla cake, mocha SMBC icing (and filling) and white MMF. On top of that I'm putting cake shaped like a guitar. The party is Fri. Sept 18th and I'm delivering it the evening of the 17th. Here's what I've come up with:
Sunday - bake the 11x15" early in the day, store in the fridge, in the evening, torte, fill and cover with SMBC, then MMF
Monday evening - bake guitar cake
Tuesday evening - decorate guitar (covering the whole thing in stars)
Wednesday evening - last minute touches, boarders finish any decorating I didn't get done...
Thursday evening - delivery

I worry that the cakes won't be fresh, but I intend to wrap properly and store in the fridge unless I'm working on them. This cake is for a friend's husband's 60th b-day and she has so much faith in me, and I can't let her down! Am I going at this the right way? Suggestions?

5 replies
jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 1:58am
post #2 of 6

Sounds like a winner to me thumbs_up.gif

Jibbies

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 2:07am
post #3 of 6

If you're not opposed to freezing the cakes I would suggest baking both cakes one right after the other on Sunday. That way the oven only heats up once. Then let cool, wrap well and freeze.

On Monday, make your icing and MMF.

Tuesday, color the icing and make the stars (I am assuming they're fondant). Pull out the cakes from the freezer and let thaw overnight.

Wednesday, ice and decorate cake.

Thursday, deliver! Your cake will be much fresher this way as well.
Good luck, I'm sure it'll turn out great! icon_smile.gif

CrazyCakes13 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 2:13am
post #4 of 6

Oops sorry - stars are in SMBC using a 2010 tip (I think? 3 stars in one tip)

KrisD13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrisD13 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 11:01am
post #5 of 6

Not trying to cause trouble here....is the party on the 18th or on Friday?

Because the 18th is Thursday.

If you are delivering on the 17th..that's Wednesday.

I've read a few "I got the date wrong" threads on here. That's why I think double checking on party date is important.

Hope it all turns out beautiful! icon_smile.gif

CrazyCakes13 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 12:18pm
post #6 of 6

Oops - I've got my dates wrong but my days right. The party is next Friday the 19th, I'm delivering on the 18th. ha ha ha. I can't decorate on the Wed. night because of how late I arrive home. I'm not sure I can get it all together in time (I get home at 8pm).

Thanks everyone for your input! Really appreciate it icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%