A Light Milk

Baking By julitre1 Updated 10 Sep 2008 , 9:55pm by julitre1

julitre1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julitre1 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 12:27am
post #1 of 5

I've had a customer ask if I can use a lighter milk in my cake recipe, like a 1% or 2%. I always use a store bought cake mix, but will be willing to make a cake from scratch. I was just wondering if it mattered which milk you use. I've always used my regular 2% milk for all my "scratch" recipes and never gave much thought to it, so now I'm just wondering. Thanks in advance.

4 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 1:13pm
post #2 of 5

The only difference between whole milk and 2% is the fat content, which, for the amount you will be using, is so minimal it won't make a difference. If you are worried about the texture, add an extra drop or two of oil. Remember, though, that adding that little bit of oil defeats the purpose of using 2% milk.

There is no reason why you can't use milk with a cake mix, either. Lots of our members do so, and never have a problem.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

julitre1 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 2:29pm
post #3 of 5

really? where would i add it, in place of the oil? i never thought of that.

sadiepix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadiepix Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 7:09pm
post #4 of 5

No, in place of the water. Don't get rid of the only fat in a recipe unless you have a good sub for it (like applesauce) or you will get a chewy tough cake.

You can sub out lots of different things for the liquid in a box mix.

julitre1 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 9:55pm
post #5 of 5

oh, yeah, that makes sense. some days i just don't know where my head is.....lol thank you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%