Help!!!! I Need Sheet Cake Help From A-Z

Decorating By asimone Updated 10 Sep 2008 , 4:58am by CakeRN

asimone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asimone Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 8:47pm
post #1 of 7

Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting on this site. I have to make three sheet cakes over the next 2 weeks, and need some assistance. I've never made a sheet cake so I need help with how to make sure the cake turns out moist, how much batter( i've read on one site I need about 7 cups), and the best recipe to use.

One cake is a child's birthday, and the other two are adult birthdays. One of the birthday cakes will be made in a 13x9x3 inch pan. I don't even have the particular flavors I want to use.

Please help!!!!!!!

6 replies
millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 8:57pm
post #2 of 7

My sheet cake pan (12"x18") holds exactly 3 cake mixes. For a 9x13, I make 2 cake mixes, and then fill the pan about 2/3 full. (sorry, I jsut eyeball it) I turn the oven down about 25 degrees from what the instructions say, and bake it a little longer, until the cake tester comes out clean.

I have never had a problem with a sheet cake not being moist.

Good luck! icon_smile.gif

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 8:59pm
post #3 of 7

Oh, and I always use the Wilton baking strips. The ones you soak in water and wrap around the pan.

Tatusky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tatusky Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 9:01pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by asimone

Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting on this site. I have to make three sheet cakes over the next 2 weeks, and need some assistance. I've never made a sheet cake so I need help with how to make sure the cake turns out moist, how much batter( i've read on one site I need about 7 cups), and the best recipe to use.

One cake is a child's birthday, and the other two are adult birthdays. One of the birthday cakes will be made in a 13x9x3 inch pan. I don't even have the particular flavors I want to use.

Please help!!!!!!!

Well, I am new too. I have some writing instructions for the 13x9x3 inch pan. You will need 1-1/2 recipe (4-1/2 cups) for that size and according to this instructions, 55 servings. From here you can calculate the other ones.

mymomandmecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mymomandmecakes Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 9:07pm
post #5 of 7

I always use a rose tip inserted in the middle of the cake and it bakes up quick and is usually moist...just don't forget to remove it before frosting.....I did that once an dremembered after I started to frost what a mess it truned into. So now I remove immediately after it comes out of the over when I turn it out of the pan! good luck! I usually use 1 1/2 reciepe for that size.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 9:14pm
post #6 of 7

You can figure how much batter is needed for any size/shape pan by filling it w/water then measure it out.
I **NEVER** measure batter by the cupful......that is sooooooooooo messy icon_sad.gif Instead, fill the pan 2/3rds full of batter. It is very hard to tell you how much is needed for a 3" deep pan as most use 2" dpeep pans. It also makes it difficult to know how long to bake it. Bake at 325 for a few minutes longer than usual & it should be o.k.
I bake by my noseicon_smile.gif That's right.....just leave it in the oven until you can smell it. Then do the touch test - lightly touch it slightly off center and if it springs back any the cake is done. If it has pulled away from the edges of the pan it is probably overbakedicon_sad.gif

For your 3" deep 9x13 I suggest 2 cake mixes. Be sure you are charging for that many servings. To me any sheet cake that uses 2 mixes is the same as a 1/2 sheet & I would charge about $50 for it.

If you are using scratch recipes you are going to have to figure out for yourself how much to make.

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 4:58am
post #7 of 7

If you want your cakes to be moist then add a box of dry pudding mix to your cake mix and an extra egg.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%