New Show: Amazing Wedding Cakes

Decorating By baycheeks1 Updated 9 Sep 2008 , 1:42am by GenGen

baycheeks1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baycheeks1 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 2:55am
post #1 of 31

I thought this wa a pretty good show...looks like some good things coming up!

So what do we think of the new cake decorating show?

30 replies
xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 4:42am
post #2 of 31

I must have been dozzing! icon_lol.gif When did this start and what days is it on?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 4:59am
post #3 of 31

It will be on Sun nights @ 8 p.m. eastern time.

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 5:02am
post #4 of 31

I watched it too. I think that I am going to like it. Seems fun enough to get into!

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 5:06am
post #5 of 31

What channel is this show on?

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 6:22am
post #6 of 31

It's on WEtv, Women's Entertainment TV

The cakes were great! I loved the Pink Convertible, and the Birch Wedding Cake. I was appalled they took an order from a groom by himself. Most grooms have no clue, imo. The people...not much personality, with few exceptions. It looked like some of the cake designers were acting in a high school play, not natural at all. They almost looked uncomfortable. I know it was the first episode. Obviously they are not actors, but if you compare them with the crazy folks at Charm City Cakes, it's no contest. I guess we will see what happens, if they loosen up, in the upcoming episodes.

elainec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elainec Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 6:41am
post #7 of 31

I thoroughly enjoyed the show but some of the decorators did seem a little nervous. Of course Mary Meyers was a hoot. SHe was the one that did the birch cake. Had to redesign it at the last minute. Totally different than what the groom had ordered! I loved the cadillac cake also, although, I really couldn't ever see it as a wedding cake here in Alabama; a perfect, way out groom's cake though.
I think that I would have made more of the backdrop edible on that cake. I just like my cake to be edible. Maybe candy clay or gumpaste palm trees, things like that. These cakes were more in line with cakes that I could get ideas from and attempt to make. However, this show is still a long way from being as entertaining or having "way out there cakes" as Ace, and I do love Duff, Jeff and MaryAlice.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 3:44pm
post #8 of 31

I agree with you elainac. My only problem was when Mary was freaking over the last minute changes (which is totally understandable) was how she was telling them that "this is what your getting, like it or not!" attitude. These people probably watched the show and I doubt that they would buy from them again after what she was saying about them.
It also seemed like they were trying to find people that were close to Duff's staff (tattooed, different colored hair, eclectic).
Also did anyone notice that they all had their hands all over the cakes without gloves (especially the convertable cake). Isnt that kinda a health violation or something? It might turn some people off!

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 4:09pm
post #9 of 31

I loved the show... and the decorators! It is great to see how other decorators approach the designing aspect.. I loved the backdrop idea and thought it really enhanced the cake; which was awesome itself.. I look forward to seeing next week's show.. bonus.. I did pick up a couple of tips watching them work..

baycheeks1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baycheeks1 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 4:18pm
post #10 of 31

I think a lot of people compare it to Ace of Cakes because thats what they have seen for the past 2 years...It was just the first episode so, let's see whats in store for the rest of the season.

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 11:01pm
post #11 of 31

I don't think they wear gloves on Duff's show either. My ServSafe lady said that they will work with you to come up with a good hygiene plan if you can't wear gloves. So they probably don't have to wear them. Gloves are only as good as the people who wear them anyway. And A lot of people forget to change them.
I'd never heard of this show. I will definitely be checking it out!
Jen...

krispy1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krispy1976 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 11:13pm
post #12 of 31

thumbs_up.gif Tivoed it last night and watched it this morning! I like it alot, the seem very down to earth, but my goodness 2 of the hand made flowers were not good enough **OMG** she acted like all of them looked like S**T! But I will watch it again!

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 11:16pm
post #13 of 31

is it on the same channel as ace of cakes? i don't get to see that show very often as it's on very late in ontario and i'd love to check out this new one-hope to find out soon icon_smile.gif

Cakebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebelle Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 11:20pm
post #14 of 31

The benefit of having shows like these is that people become so much more aware of the kinds of cakes that are out there! icon_wink.gif
I just wish they would mention prices somehow, maybe just hint at a ball park number! icon_lol.gif
As I said before, Cake Muggles really need to be educated about how much these kind of cakes can actually cost! the poor muggles have no clue! icon_rolleyes.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 11:21pm
post #15 of 31

.......is it on the same channel as ace of cakes?.....
Nopeicon_smile.gif It's on WEtv

weirkd Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 11:26pm
post #16 of 31

Cakebelle its on WE (womans entertainment network) at 10pm on Sunday nights. Last night was the first show.

CindiM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindiM Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 11:31pm
post #17 of 31

I loved it and I recorded it and will watch it again and again. thumbs_up.gif

HipnotiqGlamour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 12:07am
post #19 of 31

I had no idea that there was a new cake show out. I'm so glad that you all let us know!! I'll be sure to watch it next week. I wonder if they are showing the re-run yet?

weirkd Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 12:23am
post #20 of 31

Its WE, they replay Bridezillas all day long on Sunday and then Platinum Brides is on four times also so Im sure this will be rerunned to death also!!!

debo_04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debo_04 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 12:33am
post #21 of 31

I'm watching a re-run on Monday night of the show you guys are talking about and it seems to me like they are (most of them anyway) trying wwwaaayy to hard. To much acting for me!

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 12:43am
post #22 of 31

I watched it and enjoyed it. I thought it was laughable that one of them was having cow because they wanted a BC not fondant cake...I'm scared to death of fondant...so I have gotten really good at BC. And the dent in the cake I almost expected to have horror music start playing in the background!! Just fix it!!! All in all a great show and another way to showcase a talent that rarely gets noticed!

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 12:45am
post #23 of 31

How ironic. I am not much of a TV watcher and I turned the TV on and was flipping it around. I anticipated letting the kids watch SpongeBob before going to bed and I saw the show. So much for SpongeBob. Interesting show, but not much personality. As long as I get good tips, that's all that matters.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 12:59am
post #24 of 31

I didn't care for it at all. I thought the people all looked grubby. I'll probably watch it again but if it doesn't improve, I have better things to do with an hour of my time.

Jibbies

jenncowin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenncowin Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 1:11am
post #25 of 31

I just watched this show and will definitely be tuning in next week! I love Mary from Cakegirls! And honestly, what bride would REALLY let their finance pick out the wedding cake without her there to guide him?!? He meant well though. And I like that it's an hour long as opposed to 30 minutes for Ace of Cakes.

AmieW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmieW Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 1:24am
post #26 of 31

I liked it as a change but the girls with the sweet pea cake need to take a chill pill!!! the one lady that freaked out on interns and then they went off on each other over a ribbon!! god lord!!! At least unlike Ace of Cakes they showcase several cakes, sometimes on ace of cakes they get so hung up on one cake and only show that one and nothing else. I'll be tuning in.

AmieW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmieW Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 1:26am
post #27 of 31

I liked it as a change but the girls with the sweet pea cake need to take a chill pill!!! the one lady that freaked out on interns and then they went off on each other over a ribbon!! god lord!!! At least unlike Ace of Cakes they showcase several cakes, sometimes on ace of cakes they get so hung up on one cake and only show that one and nothing else. I'll be tuning in.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 1:38am
post #28 of 31

I liked it, but felt too much of it was staged. *Especially* the phone calls. I will watch it again, but I think I could go without the whole NYC Bakery... (sorry I don't remember the name)

Cakebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebelle Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 1:38am
post #29 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirkd

Cakebelle its on WE (womans entertainment network) at 10pm on Sunday nights. Last night was the first show.

Thank you, Weirkd. icon_biggrin.gif
I'll be watching.

kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 1:39am
post #30 of 31

I'm bummed I dont have WEtv

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%