Urrgh!! I Want To Get Rid Of This Order!! (Vent)

Business By ccr03 Updated 8 Sep 2008 , 5:14pm by littlecake

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 4:01pm
post #1 of 23

Okay, I have a wedding planned for Jan. 3, but boy, am I starting to wish I didn't!!!
Talk about a Momzilla!!!!!! She is SOOOO annoying/pushy/rude (she interrupts everytime I talk).

But so last week the MOB called and said they wanted a flavor replica of the cake (and would pay for it of course), I told her that I would contact the B2B to confirm. I emailed the bride Thursday morning (I was baking Thursday night) and didn't hear back until Friday at 4:30-5. Well, I quit checking email Friday at 4PM so I can actually WORK on my cakes, so I didn't get it until just now. I get a call just now from the Momzilla saying they were waiting for the cake and then asked if I even made a cake. I told her no - why would I make a cake if I didn't have a confirmation icon_confused.gif Well, I

Anyway, she is getting super annoying that I SO would not care if they cancelled!!! I am secretly hoping they do!!!

Okay, I have to get that out of my system and not worry about it. She's not going to ruin my day.

22 replies
chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 4:07pm
post #2 of 23

Gah.

Send her my way. I'd love to slap her up for you.

ccr03 Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 4:10pm
post #3 of 23

I think I may just have to!!!

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 4:13pm
post #4 of 23

I'm in a grouchy mood tonight. I'll make her sorry she ever bothered you.

ccr03 Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 4:26pm
post #5 of 23

ha,ha,ha......

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 6:10pm
post #6 of 23

Argh!!! Some people's kids...

Do what you need to do and if you have to explain your business parameters again, go right ahead. If anything else put a note on your website that you do not reliably answer emails after 2:00PM Friday thru 9AM Monday because you're giving cakes to be delivered during this time the attention they deserve. Not to mention, a little minimum timeframe for placing orders and confirmations icon_twisted.gificon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif

Good luck, dealing with Momzilla is the reason I'm not saying a word about my cousin's wedding cake (if SHE asks, I'll do it with my normal parameters, if she doesn't, no problemo here - and truth be told I'm already doing a cake for 200 that day anyways)...

ccr03 Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 6:29pm
post #7 of 23

Good point about the email 'disclaimer'.

Yeah, but so the B2B just emailed me saying she is thinking of getting a new baker. Woo-hoo! is all I'm thinking !!! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

I replied and told her that I am a strong believer that one should work/support with companies they feel comfortable and confident with and she should do that. And if that lead to a new baker, I'll refund her deposit. Now I think I should have told her, "I think that would be best."

Anyway, we'll see what happens.

But cross your fingers! I hope they cancel!!! icon_wink.gif

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 8:26pm
post #8 of 23

i'd cancel first....cut her loose to find her "ideal baker"....it's very satisfying (bad me)

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 8:57pm
post #9 of 23

I guess nobody else had any difficulty figuring this out so don't hate me but I don't understand if someone orders a cake why did you contact someone else to confirm it? I missed that part--is it because you wanted to for sure nail down the flavor or something? The wedding is in January right?

I mean if she's (Mob's) all annoying for sure cancel her but I just didn't understand.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 9:05pm
post #10 of 23

Deposits should be nonrefundable...how much time have you spent working with these people so far?

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 9:07pm
post #11 of 23

I do have on my web site that I may not answer emails or the phone on thursday and fridays because I am busy doing cakes. That might help in the future..

Did they want the cake TODAY?

Sure, let her cancel..(I don't understand this flavor thing anyway..didn't they have a tasting?)

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 9:11pm
post #12 of 23

What I"ve never figured out (and it happens to me) is why they say "Oh good, you can do our cake, here is your deposit, this is what we want..." and then "We'd like to taste these flavors." Wait...if you already paid the deposit...and you already know what flavors you want...then...um...why do you need the tasting?

I assume that tastings are "traditional" and people just do them "just because they can" rather than any real necessity??? The only time I would feel a tasting would be necessary is BEFORE booking the baker, so you know for sure you can trust them. But AFTER you book them? Hmm.

I mean, I do it of course...just can't figure it out, other than they just want to taste it ahead of time for fun.

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 9:12pm
post #13 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Deposits should be nonrefundable...how much time have you spent working with these people so far?

I agree. I have it in my contract that all deposits are nonrefundable.

Good luck with this one though!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 9:24pm
post #14 of 23

Oh ok I get it I think. You feel mob is gonna pick apart the 'flavor replica cake' you make her? That's so not cool of her. But why were you confirming the order with the bride?

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 9:31pm
post #15 of 23

I have on my website the 6 flavors I serve at my tasting and if they want another flavor they can buy a 6 in and I need to know 48 hours before their consultation to have it prepared.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 9:36pm
post #16 of 23

um, who signed the contract? i wouldn't talk to anyone but the person who signed the contract.

strawberry0121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberry0121 Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 9:41pm
post #17 of 23

I wouldn't take cake orders from the MOB unless the B2B had given me permission to do so, either.

I think I would call the bride back and say that you had given it some thought and decided that YOU are not comfortable with this transaction and that you are no longer available to do her cake.

I would give the deposit back, personally, but if there were taster cakes or whatever, I would keep payment for those.

I don't charge for consultations so even though I work with someone, it's not until cake time that I actually charge for.

Good luck!

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 9:46pm
post #18 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccr03

Good point about the email 'disclaimer'.

Yeah, but so the B2B just emailed me saying she is thinking of getting a new baker. Woo-hoo! is all I'm thinking !!! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

I replied and told her that I am a strong believer that one should work/support with companies they feel comfortable and confident with and she should do that. And if that lead to a new baker, I'll refund her deposit. Now I think I should have told her, "I think that would be best."

Anyway, we'll see what happens.

But cross your fingers! I hope they cancel!!! icon_wink.gif

Why did you not come right out and tell her that would be the best thing to do? She's obviously not happy with the service you are providing. You are not happy with her mom's behaviour and the whole things seems to be causing you some unwanted frustration. Refund her money and walk away.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 12:38am
post #19 of 23

I have a statement in my wedding cake contract:

Quote:
Quote:

SPECIAL NOTE: Regardless of who ultimately pays for the wedding cake, the BRIDE has sole ability to make changes of any kind and is the client ANNA recognizes. Not the Wedding Planner. Not the Mother of the Bride. Not the Groomâs Mother. Not Aunt Gertie who decorates cakes. Not Grandma. Nobody. ONLY the Bride can make changes. Period.

In this case, I'd consider this "flavor replica" be part of the whole thing, so the Bride is the only one I'd take an order like that from.

Recently indydebi stated she sets a "password" with her brides so that if anyone requests changes or whatever to the order, they need to have the bride's password for debi to accept it. Makes good sense to me!

I know that a bride gets busy, but this is HER cake and any action in regards to it needs to be handled by HER, even an order for a "flavor replica." And besides, the wedding in not till January, she can't be THAT busy just yet. I think MomZilla is just meddling because maybe SHE doesn't like the flavors/combinations the bride chose and wants to prove a point. Of course, I could be wrong...I don't read minds! (except for my son and husband icon_wink.gif )

I hope for your sake they cancel, or that you cut them loose. I fear that the MomZilla will only get worse as time gets closer to the wedding.

ccr03 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 12:41am
post #20 of 23

cake_princess, you are right - I should have said it to begin with. Why I didn't is beyond me at this point! I was stupid not to cancel on her first.

k8memphis, the MOB called last week saying the B2B wanted to have the 'flavor replica' cake and I told her that I would contact the B2B directly to work it out.

But I am being done with it - she cancelled, I'm refunding the deposit. I don't have in my contract (which is made out to the bride and groom) that the refund is non-refundable until 60 days before teh wedding date.

I really don't care - they are out of my hair and now I can better plan my Christmas vacation.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 12:44am
post #21 of 23

YAY! \\o/
Congratulations!

ccr03 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 12:46am
post #22 of 23

I KNOW!!!! Woo-hoo!!!!!

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 5:14pm
post #23 of 23

I LOVE IT!

some people just are not worth the aggravation !

PITA FREE ZONE!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%