Scoreboard

Decorating By jacqrose Updated 8 Sep 2008 , 8:04pm by jacqrose

jacqrose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jacqrose Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 11:19pm
post #1 of 6

So I am making a football field cake next week for my son's birthday. I plan on making a scoreboard and stick it into the cake with thin wooden dowels.

I think I am going to use gumpaste for it, but my question is has anyone ever used an oven to dry gumpaste without cracking it?

I would like to get the scoreboard done and out of the way in a couple days and I didnt know if I could put my oven on a low setting and dry out the scoreboard that way.

5 replies
armywifebryan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywifebryan Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 6:01pm
post #2 of 6

If you have a couple of days to get it done, you should have time for it to air dry. I've never used the oven to dry gumpaste out, but have heard fo some people doing it and being successfull. Good luck. HTH

Teresa

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 6:31pm
post #3 of 6

tried it and it didn't work for me I ended up wrapping my gum paste around Styrofoam and using editable image for the front with the wooden dowels the gum paste cracked and became to heavy I Personalized the scoreboard with Happy Birthday on the front with my nephews name on it, theirs a picture in my photos itâs not that great but it might give you and idea.

Molly

aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 5:19am
post #4 of 6

I have heard of putting your creation in the oven with the door ajar (oven off). The light helps to dry it. Only the light!

Charmaine49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmaine49 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 5:44am
post #5 of 6

I have also used the oven to dry my fondant/gumpaste goodies that I have made, as it is cold and damp here at present. I leave the light on, but I do keep the door closed as well.

jacqrose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jacqrose Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 8:04pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks so much for the advice. I will definetly put it in the oven with just the light. After 2 days its barely started to crust over and I need it done very soon so I can decorate it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%