Mixing Two Cake Batches At Once - Time Saver Or Mistake??

Decorating By twinsmake5 Updated 6 Sep 2008 , 10:29pm by -K8memphis

twinsmake5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinsmake5 Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 5:05pm
post #1 of 36

I'm in the middle of making 300 cupcakes. I can do 48 at a time - boy now do I wish I knew how to use my confection oven! Anyway ... I used two mixers at first making one batch at a time. Those look lovely. Next batch, I thought I was stupid - my 7qt can do two mixes at once! So I did. Those cupcakes fell, flopped, look sunken.

Is this because I did two at once? I mixed very well. ?????

35 replies
twinsmake5 Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 5:24pm
post #2 of 36

Please, please! Someone respond. I'm making the 300 for the 2nd Annual Picnic in the Park, sponsored by the Junior League, for the homeless. My first big - though freeby - job. Help?

beth2027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beth2027 Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 5:45pm
post #3 of 36

I've not ever had a problem with doing 2 mixes at once. I'm not sure why the cake would have fallen.
But now that I've said that, the wedding cake I am making this weekend will fall.... icon_lol.gif
Maybe someone else can give you a reason. I wish I could help more.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 5:53pm
post #4 of 36

I used the WASC recipe for cupcakes before, but I used my hand mixer. I made two batches in one bowl. I did not have a problem. I thought I would get over-mixed with my stand mixer.

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 5:53pm
post #5 of 36

I always thought it was just me but I have never been able to have luck with making two cake mixes or two scratch recipes at a time as well. I use the 7 qt cusinart (is that what you have?). I haven't had luck with the confection oven that came with the house either. Sorry can't help more than that.

loves2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loves2bake Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 6:01pm
post #6 of 36

Double-check your measurements. It's entirely possibly that you added the wrong amount or left something off. I double my recipes too and I find it easier to write thedoubled amts down before I start the recipe (instead of doing it in my head as I go along)

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 6:02pm
post #7 of 36

I do a double batch in my mixer all the time. I have the kitchen aid artisan one so I think it's 4.5 qt, 5 qt? Maybe you overmixed it?

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 6:09pm
post #8 of 36

I mix 2 batches all the time using WASC and have never had a problem. Make sure you don't over mix it though.

kayjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayjess Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 6:27pm
post #9 of 36

With my KA, I can actually do 3 cake mixes at one time.. and I never have a problem.

Sorry for your trouble.

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 6:30pm
post #10 of 36

I'm not tryin' to be a smarty pants here, but I do 8-12 batches (aka box mixes) of batter at once in my 20 quart Hobart and have never had a problem.

Is there a chance that when you were putting the ingredients in, you didn't double something? Or added more than you should have? Were the dates still current on everything you were using?

Oh, and SERIOUSLY...it may take some getting used/experimenting to get comfortable with your convection, but BY ALL MEANS...force yourself to use it....you won't regret it once you get the swing of things...it changes your life dramatically!!!! (Not to mention everything bakes up so nicely and more evenly I believe!)

Good luck with all the cupcakes!

-Michelle

loves2bake Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 6:32pm
post #11 of 36

Also, the recipe you're using may not be able to be doubled; according to my mom, some recipes just won't double well. I've even seen some recipes marked not to double them. (Just an afterthought)

twinsmake5 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 2:06am
post #12 of 36

It's done. Next time I will try convection. And yes, I think I did put too much water in that batch. But still, when I did the rest I really checked all the measurments, they still fell too but not as badly.

Here's a picture of the cupcakes. There were still 6 dozen that were not in the pic. Ran out of boxes. Could fit 70 in while undecorated - 52-54 with the icing. ?? Any-hoo - they are delivered. I didn't decorate a one of them. I had friends come over and never touched a pastry bag. I was busy helping the kids do the sprinkles, etc. 3 eight-year olds did all those! Thanks for the responses!
LL

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 3:20am
post #13 of 36

So does anyone know why you can't multiple certain recipes? I've never tried it because I'm scared! LOL!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 4:10am
post #14 of 36

Are you scratch baking or mix baking?

Like msauer, I mix up to 15 mixes in my 20qt at once with no problems.

MichelleM77 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 1:42pm
post #15 of 36

I'm wondering about scratch baking.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 1:53pm
post #16 of 36

I'm with Michelle in wondering why - or how to recognize - a formula that can't be doubled without adjustments. Changes usually seems to involve lessening the leavening ingredient(s) when doubling or tripling, but I have no idea why or how to formulate ......It really is science. Mixes are formulated for success and stability, so they can be fearlessly combined with great results icon_lol.gif .

ibmoser Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 1:55pm
post #17 of 36

Twinsmake5 - Forgot to add - great job and admirable project with the cupcakes thumbs_up.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 1:58pm
post #18 of 36

Although I've seen formulas that state 'cannot be doubled'--in my experience I've never had any trouble multiplying out to fit from a 5 quart up to a 60 quart mixer. I doubt that I ever specifically multiplied a recipe that said not to, but that would not have necessarily prevented me either. Kind of a challenge huh.

Rose Levy B. goes into contortions in her Cake Bible about how you can and cannot multiply double acting baking powder when increasing a recipe. She says you reduce the baking powder when you increase the volume or something or other. I know she believes that and it must work for her but many bakers just multiply all the ingredients out and it works fine that way too.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 2:19pm
post #19 of 36

I've even tripled with no problem. I use the WASC basic recipe for most of my cakes, changing the extracts and such, and I've done it with 3 mixes on several occasions (one and a half recipe).

Luby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luby Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 2:29pm
post #20 of 36

OK - I"m going to throw my 2 cents in here and be a smart a$$ icon_lol.gif

What is the difference if you take two mixes and mix them together according to the directions in the same bowl or if you mix them separately and then pour them into the same bowl? You have the same end product icon_confused.gif

ibmoser Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 2:35pm
post #21 of 36

Thanks, K8memphis, for your experiences. RLB and Toba Garrett have both mentioned the adjustments, so there must be some basis. I'll just be more brazen with my experiments if you've had good results without stressing over the math thumbs_up.gif

MichelleM77 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 2:37pm
post #22 of 36

The WASC cake, that's an extended mix cake, right? Please specify whether you are referring to box or scratch, just so we can determine if there is a difference. I can't remember....do you add baking powder to mixes? Maybe that has something to do with it.

loves2bake Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 2:39pm
post #23 of 36

When I said that some Recipes couldn't be doubled, I meant scratch recipes. Mixes would be easy to double since all ur usually adding are eggs and liquid. WASC is an embeleshed mix (even if it is yummy!) Scratch baking is different since you have to calculate and weigh/measure everything from flour to levening to milk (which leaves much more room for error)

MichelleM77 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 2:43pm
post #24 of 36

Thanks loves2bake. I guess I have some research to do to find out what's going on with scratch cakes that prevents them from being doubled. Science, hate it! icon_smile.gif

MichelleM77 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 2:55pm
post #26 of 36

Thanks indydebi! Links are great, but they all refer to the Cake Bible which is for box mixes, right?

indydebi Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 2:59pm
post #27 of 36

No idea .. I don't own that book.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 3:08pm
post #28 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM77

Thanks indydebi! Links are great, but they all refer to the Cake Bible which is for box mixes, right?

No the Cake Bible is scratch recipes. The Cake Mix Doctor might be the book you are referencing.

The Cake Bible formula's are not clearly written and I think can be frustrating for a beginner to decipher. You have to search in three different places for pertinent information. Ingredients in one place, instructions in another and pan sizes and temperatures in the margins. Not straightforward, and many bakers report unsatisfactory results with those cake recipes. Her icing formulas however are universally praised. Just my observations.

If someone is gonna do a bunch of scratch cakes, I recommend Nick Maglieri's book Perfect Cakes. If you wanna get the science of baking I recommend Sarah Phillip's Baking 911 book and website.

Baking thoughts for you.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 3:15pm
post #29 of 36

I am a scratch baker and I quadruple a few of my recipes. I do adjust (decrease) the leavening when I scale up the recipes. I generally go by the ideas in the Cake Bible, but it may take a little trial and error with yur own recipes. I figure I have a 20 quart mixing bowl, might as well fill 'er up!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 3:15pm
post #30 of 36

I am a scratch baker and I quadruple a few of my recipes. I do adjust (decrease) the leavening when I scale up the recipes. I generally go by the ideas in the Cake Bible, but it may take a little trial and error with your own recipes. I figure I have a 20 quart mixing bowl, might as well fill 'er up!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%