Has Anyone Seen Anything Like This? Or Can Suggest Similar?

Decorating By Jayde Updated 5 Sep 2008 , 12:58am by Jayde

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 10:53pm
post #1 of 18

I am looking for something similar to a hand roller for pasta, but I want to be able to roll long equal width strips of fondant easily (I have a cake that needs quite a few). This is the only thing that I could find that wouldnt cost me a fortune, but the width is actually too far apart, so I was going to get 2 of them and try to have my hubs jerry rig it so that way they are closer together. Oasis has one but its stainless steel and $95. Does anyone know where I might find something like this or similar??

Thanks for the help...
LL

17 replies
sandygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandygirl Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 10:59pm
post #2 of 18

Wilton has a ribbon cutter and embosser set. It is adjustable so you can make the strips as wide as you's like.

HTH

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 10:59pm
post #3 of 18

you can get a five or six wheel cutter designed for pastry. They are metal and fully adjustable (the frame is an accordian type set up with a wing nut to tighten it). they are quite expensive however.

just google multi-wheel pastry cutter.

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 11:09pm
post #4 of 18

I have the Wilton cutter and not thrilled with it. It is adjustable and cuts more than one ribbon at a time, but the plastic blades are too thick and the edges on the cut fondant aren't sharp.

I bought this from Global Sugar Art, and though it only cuts one ribbon at a time, it is adjustable width and the wheels are thinner for a sharper edge.

http://globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=17248

Edited to add...I guess you could buy two of them - and use the second set of wheels on the same bolt, or even buy a longer bolt at a hardware/home store and string a set together.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 11:20pm
post #5 of 18

This one cuts four at a time and is quite reasonably priced. http://www.cakesbysam.com/store/catalog/product_21868_Adjustable_Ribbon_Cutter_cat_268.html

CelebrationCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationCakery Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 11:58pm
post #6 of 18

I use a herb cutter, I bought it at Kmart. The cutting discs are not adjustable though...

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 12:53am
post #7 of 18

i use an herb cutter also...got it at wally world.

PinkZiab Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 12:58am
post #8 of 18

This is what i was talking about and it's quite versatile. I couldn't live without mine.

http://www.instawares.com/multi-wheel-pastry-cutter.mwpc-2x6am.0.7.htm

funbun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funbun Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 1:12am
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

This is what i was talking about and it's quite versatile. I couldn't live without mine.

http://www.instawares.com/multi-wheel-pastry-cutter.mwpc-2x6am.0.7.htm

This is one of my favourite tools! I use it daily. It pays for itself quickly. icon_biggrin.gif

jessc169 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessc169 Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 1:14am
post #10 of 18

i just want to second that the wilton cutter is not all that great. i hate mine actually. the wheels always get stuck or stop rolling but if i loosen them anymore they wobble and don't make a straight line.....it's just a pain!

PinkZiab Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 1:21am
post #11 of 18

I should add that the URL I posted as for a cheap multi-wheel cutter (cheapest I have ever seen), so I don't know how well it would perform long-term but would probably be great for someone on a budget or a casual user. If you search you'll see the heavy duty higher end models are usually around $80-100 and up.

shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 3:20am
post #12 of 18

For those of you who have the Wilton ribbon cutter embosser, get a regular type nut and place on the screw end in place of the wing nut. It should stay in place and let your wheels roll better.

shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 3:31am
post #13 of 18

For those of you who have the Wilton ribbon cutter embosser, get a regular type nut and place on the screw end in place of the wing nut. It should stay in place and let your wheels roll better.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 2:22pm
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

I should add that the URL I posted as for a cheap multi-wheel cutter (cheapest I have ever seen), so I don't know how well it would perform long-term but would probably be great for someone on a budget or a casual user. If you search you'll see the heavy duty higher end models are usually around $80-100 and up.

So...this is the model that you have?? And it works well? I have the FMM one and I do like it but cutting multiple strips at the same time would be nice!

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 2:35pm
post #15 of 18

I have the one ceshell showed from cakesbysam.com. Works great. My only complaint is the blades start to rust quickly when I clean them so I have to wash and dry fast.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 2:38pm
post #16 of 18

I threw the wilton ribbon cutter away it was so bad. I have the FMM cutter and I love it. It cuts a very clean edge and has three different discs edges.

tortitas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tortitas Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 3:37pm
post #17 of 18

Sheesh! I just bought one last week, haven't used it yet so maybe I should just return it. Thank you all for posting how you really feel about this product. I don't have the extra $ to waste on supplies/utensils that may not work the way I really want it to. Great "presentation" is what we are all here to achieve.

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 12:58am
post #18 of 18

Thanks guys for all of the help. I didnt want to get the one from Oasis, unless I knew for sure that it was actually going to do a decent job at cutting the fondant.

And my favorite quote by Leahs "Wilton = crap" is pretty true. I stopped buying a lot of the Wilton things.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%