Gift Box Cake

Decorating By candyce03 Updated 5 Sep 2008 , 5:40am by candyce03

candyce03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyce03 Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 8:59pm
post #1 of 7

I wanted to make a gift box cake but how do you put the fondant over a square cake without having a lot of seams? icon_confused.gif

6 replies
jlo6024 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlo6024 Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 9:14pm
post #2 of 7

You have to put it on as you would a round cake....all in one piece. I think there are some tutorials on here for covering a square cake.

anamado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anamado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anamado Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 9:16pm
post #4 of 7

Or this one??

" rel="nofollow">

malishka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malishka Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 9:25pm
post #5 of 7

I cover it the same way as a round cake, however, i make sure to cup the corners of the cake with my hands first. Then I smooth the fondant on the rest of the cake.
I don't know i this is a correct way, but it worked for me.

busymom2boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busymom2boys Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 9:42pm
post #6 of 7

My first cake order ever, (last month) was a gift box cake. I was terrified!! It actually turned out pretty well so I will share with you how I did it. But before I do let me just say I am extemely new to this, I haven't taken any classes, etc. and have just been trying to figure out my own way to do things. I'm certain I am NOT using the professional or recommended methods! LOL! From one newbie to another, this was the easiest way I could figure out how to do it....

my cake was 10x10 and 5 inches high so I rolled and cut out a strip of fondant 40 inches long and 5 inches wide. Then I wrapped the fondant around the sides, putting the only seam to the back corner. For the lid, I rolled and cut a 13x13 square, 10 in. to go across the top and 1 1/2 inches to hang down each side. Before I put it on, I cut a 1 1/2 in x 1 1/2 in. square out of each corner. I laid it on top the cake, let the sides hang over and then sealed them with water and smoothed the seams the best I could. I did glue down the sides of the lid to the side fondant with water also hoping it would keep the weight of the fondant on the sides from sagging and it worked.

candyce03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyce03 Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 5:40am
post #7 of 7

Thanks for all the great tips. I will upload a picture for all to see. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%