How Soon Do You Start Advertising For Seasonal Stuff?

Business By SugaredUp Updated 5 Sep 2008 , 1:49pm by amazinggracecakedesigns

SugaredUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUp Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 12:57am
post #1 of 21

I want to promote some Halloween things and even started thinking about Christmas. I have a few local businesses that promote for me. I was thinking of taking some things to them. Is it too soon? I don't want to wait too late cuz then everyone is so sick of sweets by then.

20 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 1:23am
post #2 of 21

Today, I made my NFSC dough and it's in the refrigerator. TOmorrow, I'm rolling it out and making stars, Christmas trees and snowmen cookies (all one color ... simple). I'll be taking them to area businesses with a flyer reminding them it's time to start thinking about Christmas cookie trays and time to start booking their employee Christmas dinners, luncheons, etc. I already have two Christmas parties booked and this week I have TWO brides coming in for samplings for their 12/31/08 weddings.

It's Sept ... most venues are booked already for Christmas, so no, it's NOT too early to think about Christmas.

pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 1:40am
post #3 of 21

i was thinking about doing that too... maybe do cake balls with colored frosting

SugaredUp Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 2:41am
post #4 of 21

I think I will do this next week. I am going to do cake balls, too, which I've been wanting to try making. I think I'll make up a some sets of different shapes and take those sets to some local businesses to drop off w/ a card. I just think that by the time November hits, people think of Christmas and just go UGHHHHHHH - no more!! Especially offices, where clients and vendors usually bombard them with edible gifts starting at the beginning of December. If I hit them now, they'll appreciate it more and probably be more open to the idea.........

indydebi Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 2:51am
post #5 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugaredUp

Especially offices, where clients and vendors usually bombard them with edible gifts starting at the beginning of December.

You need to find the folks who are sending these edible gifts!!! (medical sales reps, for example).

pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 2:55am
post #6 of 21

yes i think if i make some mini cakes... with maybe a card or flyer to drop off...

i also thought of having a mixer, or... cake tasting party for local vendors...

i also wanted to get on some of the vendor lists for some banquet halls... but dont know how to do it... does anyone have any suggestions?

SugaredUp Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 1:22pm
post #7 of 21

Indydebi, you're a genius! In my case, I was always working with attorneys. A lot of court reporters send edibles to the law offices during the holidays. Usually attorneys will stick with one agency, so those reporters really like to suck up at the holidays......

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 1:47pm
post #8 of 21

Debi...what is in your sample advertisement? Do you make a small basket/bag with a variety of shapes of cookies, as well as your flyer?

I don't know how elaborate to make it...just one cookie seems chintzy, but I'm not sure.

Funny this subject just came up, I was debating if it was too early to start just yesterday...

indydebi Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 10:21pm
post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homemade-Goodies

Debi...what is in your sample advertisement? Do you make a small basket/bag with a variety of shapes of cookies, as well as your flyer?

I don't know how elaborate to make it...just one cookie seems chintzy, but I'm not sure.

I'm giving a box of 4-6 cookies. I found some previous pages where I had printed 6-8 photos of my work (cakes, cookies, catering) for a presentation I did, so I'm folding one of these up, with the flyer, with my card stapled to it .... staple the card to the flyer, which may get filed in the company's files whereas a card stapled to the box may get thrown away with the box.

Below is the verbage on the flyer. I'll be putting a short "notice" on my website front page regarding "Trays of Christmas Cookies - Order Now!"

----------------------------------
Itâs Never Too Early to Plan for Christmas!!

Facilities and caterers are starting to get booked up for Company Christmas parties. Have you started making arrangements for yours yet?

Cater It Simple can keep it simple for you with our package menus, all inclusive pricing and something for every budget. Whether youâre looking for something as simple as cake and cookies, a breakfast or lunch being dropped off at your office or a full staffed buffet at an off-site location, we can help make your event a success.

Visit our website(s) for complete menu and pricing options, and lots of photos displaying what we can do for you.

Sending gifts to clients and customers?

We can help with that, too! Send one of our âBannaâs Bloomersâ Cookie Arrangements or a tray of iced Christmas cookies or some of our fabulous cupcakes! Want to buy them lunch? Weâll handle the delivery and set-up of the lunch for you! A great way to let your customers and clients know that you appreciate their business this year!

Give us a call â¦. Let us know how we can help!

SugaredUp Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 10:28pm
post #10 of 21

Debi, I just made my flier today, too. Unfortunately, I could've used my old one from last year, but the computer crashed and I lost all my files! So it did take a while, but I'm happy with it. I'm going to give out 2 decorated sugar cookies to the office manager w/ 2 coupons, a brochure and a biz card. I'm going to 3 attys offices, a court reporting place, and still debating where else I should go...

SugaredUp Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 10:29pm
post #11 of 21

I'm thinking building managers. They like to send stuff to their tenants......

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 10:31pm
post #12 of 21

I was thinking of doing yule logs...does anyone have any hints?

SugaredUp Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 10:35pm
post #13 of 21

Maybe translation services, too. Anywhere where the place would have repeat customers that they'd want to send gifts to at the holidays... Maybe surveillance places, too. I'm thinking back on my old legal secretary days. Even whatcha callits.... umm... it's on the tip of my tongue... process servers! Usually the entire office will use one company, so they tend to kiss butt - a/k/a send gifts.

indydebi Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 10:47pm
post #14 of 21

Oh, the coupon is a great idea! Looks like hubby is going to be printing me off some add'l paper for me! (his workplace has a GREAT color printer! icon_biggrin.gif )

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 10:54pm
post #15 of 21

Wonderful ideas and advice...thanks ladies!!

Now to get busy planning, packing and passin' 'em out! icon_biggrin.gif

SugaredUp Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 10:58pm
post #16 of 21

No hints on yule logs, although they look fun to make!

amazinggracecakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amazinggracecakedesigns Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 5:23am
post #17 of 21

We do yule logs for the holidays and they are always a big hit. They aren't very hard to make & they are delicious. Another thing to consider is pumpkin rolls. They are also very good!! icon_biggrin.gif

Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 1:27am
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Today, I made my NFSC dough and it's in the refrigerator. TOmorrow, I'm rolling it out and making stars, Christmas trees and snowmen cookies (all one color ... simple). I'll be taking them to area businesses with a flyer reminding them it's time to start thinking about Christmas cookie trays and time to start booking their employee Christmas dinners, luncheons, etc. I already have two Christmas parties booked and this week I have TWO brides coming in for samplings for their 12/31/08 weddings.

It's Sept ... most venues are booked already for Christmas, so no, it's NOT too early to think about Christmas.

Thanks indydebi, I am still rather new to baking and decorating but wanted to know how to go about soliciting for the holidays.
thanks for the advce.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 2:35am
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsandtreats270

We do yule logs for the holidays and they are always a big hit. They aren't very hard to make & they are delicious. Another thing to consider is pumpkin rolls. They are also very good!! icon_biggrin.gif

I would think my regular cake is too heavy..is there a special recipe to use? A genose?

SugaredUp Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 3:11am
post #20 of 21

Here is the recipe in my Betty Crocker cookbook that I trust completely.

Jelly Roll

3 eggs
1 c granulated sugar
1/3 c water
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 c all purpose flour or 1 cup cake flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

Line jelly roll pan w/ parchment paper, tin foil or waxed paper. Grease foil or waxed paper generously. Beat eggs in small bowl on high about 5 min or until very thick and lemon colored. Pour eggs in medium bowl. Gradually beat in granulated sugar. Beat in water and vanilla on low. Gradually add flour, baking powder and salt. Beat just till smooth. Pour into pan, spreading into corners. Bake 12-15 min. Immediately loosen cake from edges of pan and invert onto towel generously sprinkled w/ powdered sugar. Carefully remove paper. Trim off stiff edges of cake if necessary. While hot, carefully roll cake and towel from narrow end. Cool on wire rack 30 min. Unroll cake and remove towel. Spread desired filling onto cake. Roll up and sprinkle w/ powdered sugar.

10 Servings.

amazinggracecakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amazinggracecakedesigns Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 1:49pm
post #21 of 21

Our recipe is longer than the jelly roll recipe. If any of you would like it, I can pm the recipe. It is delicious & there are several variations of flavors. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%