12X12 Cake Help

Decorating By vonnie99 Updated 2 Sep 2008 , 6:27pm by vonnie99

vonnie99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vonnie99 Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 11:42am
post #1 of 12

I need some help!! I need to make a 2 layer 12 x 12 cake and I don't quite know how to get the top layer out of the pan on on to the bottom layer without it falling apart! I've tried twice in the past and the cake has fallen apart both times - does anyone have any tips they can share for layering larger cakes??

11 replies
2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 11:57am
post #2 of 12

I use a cardbaord a bit bigger than the cake I am trying to move. Slide the cake layer onto the board, then slide it off the board onto the layer you want it on. Line up the edges of the cakes and slide the cardboard off as the cake layer lays on top.
Keeps me from breaking them and you can also freeze them slightly to stiffen them and then do this and it helps too. Not totally frozen just stiff.

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 11:59am
post #3 of 12

When I do large cakes I flip them out of the pan onto my large Wilton cooling racks. When cool I set my cake drum on the cake and flip. For the second layer I set a cake circle or a cookie sheet on the cake and flip. Then slide the cake onto the first layer. I don't try to lift with my hands like I do with the smaller cakes. I learned that lesson the hard way with a pile of crumbs. The resulting cake truffles (balls) were good though. LOL

tonia3604 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonia3604 Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 12:18pm
post #4 of 12

I also slide mine off of a cardboard circle. Like someone else said, slide your cake to the very edge of the cardboard circle, line it up with the cake on the bottom, and then carefully slide the cardboard out. Try to do this as parallel to the bottom cake as possible. The more of an angle you are at the more likely you are to break your cake.

strawberry0121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberry0121 Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 12:40pm
post #5 of 12

I use cardboard, too. The only other thing I have to add is that I line everything with wax paper. I line the cooling rack and the cardboard. I think it helps keep the cake from sticking to those things and helps me so I don't stick my fingers in the cake.

strawberry0121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberry0121 Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 12:43pm
post #6 of 12

Actually, I should clarify. I lay wax paper over the cake while it is still in the pan, then I lay the cooling rack over the wax paper and flip the whole thing over onto the cooling rack.
Once it is cool, I lay wax paper over the top of the cake, then I lay the cardboard over the cake and I have a sandwich of cooling rack, wax paper, cake, wax paper, cardboard.
I flip the cake onto the cardboard and peel off the wax paper that was on the cooling rack.
Then, I flip the cake over onto the cardboard and then carefully onto the bottom layer.

Now if you're not confused, you should be doing good! icon_smile.gif

AmyCakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyCakes2 Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 12:57pm
post #7 of 12

Here's another little tip I got from my "aunt-in-law" - before you flip out the 2nd cake onto the cake board - sprinkle it with granulated sugar (not a ton, just enuf to give a light coating) and then flip it out onto your board and slide it onto the other layer. I don't do it ALL the time, but it does help it slide off the board easier, too.

Michele25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele25 Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 1:03pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Quote:

When I do large cakes I flip them out of the pan onto my large Wilton cooling racks. When cool I set my cake drum on the cake and flip. For the second layer I set a cake circle or a cookie sheet on the cake and flip. Then slide the cake onto the first layer. I don't try to lift with my hands like I do with the smaller cakes.

I use this same method that Granpam uses, but for the top layer, I flip it from the cooling rack onto one of these large Wilton cookie sheets (it's 14x20) and then slide the top layer onto the bottom layer. Works great!

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 1:05pm
post #9 of 12

When I have to deal with large layers I freeze them so I can move them safely. I have short, chubby little arms and "big ole" cakes can pose a problem!!

GOOD LUCK!

Beth in KY

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 1:56pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele25

Quote:
Quote:

When I do large cakes I flip them out of the pan onto my large Wilton cooling racks. When cool I set my cake drum on the cake and flip. For the second layer I set a cake circle or a cookie sheet on the cake and flip. Then slide the cake onto the first layer. I don't try to lift with my hands like I do with the smaller cakes.

I use this same method that Granpam uses, but for the top layer, I flip it from the cooling rack onto one of these large Wilton cookie sheets (it's 14x20) and then slide the top layer onto the bottom layer. Works great!

I have one of those too and I love it for moving cakes...forgot to mention it, thanks. thumbs_up.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 2:13pm
post #11 of 12

I use a metal pizza peel. They're inexpensive and work great. Mine is 15x15, and can hold everything up to a half-sheet pan.

I bought mine in a restaurant supply store. They are available online through most restaurant supply companies.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

vonnie99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vonnie99 Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 6:27pm
post #12 of 12

Wow - thanks for the tips! We'll see how good my coordination is on Wednesday!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%