What Happened???

Decorating By BOOTNEYBOO1 Updated 2 Sep 2008 , 1:19am by step0nmi

BOOTNEYBOO1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BOOTNEYBOO1 Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 11:04pm
post #1 of 4

Ok...This is my first pillow cake I thought it came out pretty good...until it got to the catering hall. The middle pillow I decided I would put half blue fondant and airbrush and white fondant for the bottom. All the other pillows were covered in fondant. Well...when I got to the hall the white flipped off the cake and wouldnt stay on and I winded up having some extra butter cream and that kept it but I was so disappointed. Thank god it was for my neice and they were so understanding. Does anyone know what I could have done so that would have not happened. Should I have overlaped it a bit with the blue fondant? Was the cake too soft??? I also notice the bottom layer was looking a little smooched. Did I need more dowels? Please help me so that this doesnt happen again.
LL

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 12:44am
post #2 of 4

The white fondant flipped off?

edited to make that a question

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 1:00am
post #3 of 4

Do you use a crusting buttercream? That would be my first guess.. it crusted over before you put your fondant on and it wouldn't adhere because of that. Or your fondant is thick and the weight pulled it off?

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 1:19am
post #4 of 4

it sounds like you did two separate pieces for the colors on the middle pillow...do I have that right? what you could've done was cover the pillow fully with fondant just as if you would cover a regular round cake...and then airbrushed the top OR lay another thin sheet of fondant for the blue on top of the white. If you did two separate pieces and the white was for the bottom it probably didn't adhere to the cake well and didn't have anything to connect to so it just feel off from the weight of the fondant and being underneath the pillow...I'm sorry this happened to you...I hope I explained that right!?

when you dowel your cakes you should make sure to have a board under the cake that is going on top of the other cake...and the dowels should be just above the frosting of the bottom cake. That way the dowels are supporting your next cake and not the cake itself...that is probably what smooched it a little. icon_sad.gif

I think your cake looks very nice btw...I love the way you quilted the top one. You should be proud icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%