Topsy Turvy- What Cake To Use?

Decorating By tiamariad Updated 30 Aug 2008 , 10:37am by newnancy

tiamariad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiamariad Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 9:55am
post #1 of 3

My little boy has watched me over the past months make cakes for other people and has been desperate to have his own cake and with it being his birthday in september I thought he should have the cake of all cakes and decided to go with a topsy turvy cake.

My Questions are before I start:

1: I'm going to do a three Layer topsy turvy cake, Ive got a great madeira recipe that is quite dense but I need a chocolate recipe that is dense and then another flavour as I don't want the cakes to crumble when I'm cutting them- does anyone have any suggestions and recipes I could use?

2: How long can I freeze the cakes for as time is going to be tight and are you able to freeze the cakes with the buttercream coating or should you not?

3: Once Iced and stacked how should I store this cake (I'm thinking sugarpaste or rolled buttercream)

Sorry for so many questions but I want is to be perfect for him

Thanks

2 replies
amoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amoos Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 10:21am
post #2 of 3

I love the "darn good choc. cake" from the cake mix doctor. Still super moist, but a little denser and should work fine for a topsy turvy. I've also stored cakes in the fridge for like 4 or 5 days before (already iced) and it was still super yummy and moist. And don't worry you aren't the only one who wants it to be perfect. My little boy is turning 1 in Oct. and I've become obsessed with having a super fun (but reasonable) party for him!!

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 10:37am
post #3 of 3

You can freeze your cakes now & they'll be fine. I wrap mine in saran wrap then foil & then put them in a plastic kitchen bag, with all the air removed. They'll freeze for at least a month or more. I take them out of the freezer the night before & leave them wrapped to thaw. I haven't tried this yet but other people on here said you can fill the cakes & crumb coat it before freezing & it works great. Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%