A Good Mop?

Lounge By mellormom Updated 10 Sep 2008 , 3:43pm by TheCakerator

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 6:17pm
post #1 of 18

Is it just me or is every mop out there horrible! I have yet to find a mop that works decent. The one I have now works ok but the brush part doesn't come off so I can't get under my cabinets because the brush is in the way. (DH bought it!) The one I had before fell apart. And so on and so on. I use the swiffers for the everyday stuff but they aren't good enough to get the real ground in stuff.
I also have no grass in my backyard and the kitchen of course is right off the backyard so........ By the time my kid and dog are done outside......
If you like your mop let me know. I will definitely be getting a new one!
Thanks for letting me vent! I really hate to clean so it annoys me when my cleaning products don't work and the house looks no cleaner than when I started. icon_mad.gif
Jen...

17 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 6:58pm
post #2 of 18

Did you ever hear of the Fuller Brush Man?

That's the product line I buy for my mops and brooms. It's the only one out there with a really great warranty.

http://www.fuller.com/

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 12:01am
post #3 of 18

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006H977Y/?tag=cakecentral-20

You can more than likely find this type of mop locally. You just dampen the pad, put it on the floor and set the mop head on top of it- they pad attach with velcro. If you have a dirty spot, spray it with vinegar water and mop away. If you have liquid to pick up, just mop it up and rinse the pad out in the sink. Toss it in the washer and dryer and you are good to go. You may want to change pads it you have several rooms to clean are a particularly dirty floor. I do sweep before moping. I wouldn't use anything else. Just plain water or vinegar water.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 12:17am
post #4 of 18

I'm like you ... I'm sick of all of these new fangled, designed to save me time, can't clean worth a crap mops that keep coming out! The only thing they seem to be good at is sucking money out of my pocket!! I always notice the moms in the commercials don't have normal kids and she manages to be right there to clean up the "mess" as soon as it's made, while it's nice and fresh and easy to clean. Where's the dried soda on the floor that no one bothered to clean up three days ago? Where's the chocolate coating that fell off of the ice cream bar and is now a hardened mess that's forever glued onto the floor?

But that's why I just went back to a good old fashioned "braided rope" type of mop. It's the only kind that works worth a crap! I'll happily hand-wring it out (but I did get a wringer mop bucket for home, so I don't have to do that anymore!)

I'll say it again ... since I now have access to commercial cleaning products, I HATE buying anything in a regular grocery store ... it's like the put the bottom-of-the-barrel stuff in the grocery store for "the little housewives" and the good stuff goes to the commercial suppliers.

Kim_in_CajunCountry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 1:04am
post #5 of 18

My favorite mop is one I've never seen...It's the one my housekeeper uses every Tuesday! icon_lol.gif

I use Swiffer Wets in between.

Hold that thought...don't assume that we're "well off" because we have a housekeeper. When we bought our house three years ago, we made a pact that we would buy a house with a mortgage low enough that we could have a housekeeper in once a week and hire someone to cut the lawn. We decided that we work hard all week long and should enjoy the weekends as a family, instead "wasting" it doing laundry and mowing grass.

Sorry...didn't mean to go off like that, but I often get snide comments...usually from people who spend money on things that I consider very wasteful.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 1:25am
post #6 of 18

Kim- I'm with you on having a housekeeper. There are things I don't buy and definitely no fancy vacations or weekends in Vegas, but having a housekeeper every two weeks is wonderful. Before I retired it was once a week, now it is twice a month. My housekeeper was the one who introduced me to to micro mops- no residue from cleaning solutions. Perfect for laminate floors- no buckets of water sloshed around and seeping into the joints.
I decided to get a housekeeper one Saturday morning when I was sitting under the dinning room table polishing the legs.Ther are much better ways to spend a Saturday morning.

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 1:29am
post #7 of 18

After trying mop after mop I spent the $$ and bought the Hoover Floor mate, and I love it! It is great on my tile and vinyl flooring. One day friends were over and someone dropped a very large pitcher of sweetened ice tea on the kitchen floor. That floor mate sucked all the sticky liquid up and washed away the residue in about 1 minute. It was also great when we had a flood and mud covered the basement floor.

About having a housekeeper-good for you! My son is rather a neat freak and having a housekeeper in each week is NOT a waste of money. I think it might have saved his marriage a zillion times. I have never had any help, but almost everyone I work with has help with the housework after they work every day, all day.

mellormom Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 1:52am
post #8 of 18

thanks for all the replies! I'll have to look into it some of the ideas. icon_smile.gif
My mother-in-law hates her floor mate. Maybe she got a lemon. I think too that its big to lug around and things.
Jen...

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 5:55am
post #9 of 18

The hoover floor mate is friggin INCREDIBLE!

squeaky clean, easy, white glove test perfect!!!

RUN and get it!

Pookie59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pookie59 Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 9:43pm
post #10 of 18

I have a Shark steam mop. Love it.

mellormom Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 9:46pm
post #11 of 18

What is the shark steam mop?
Jen...

Pookie59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pookie59 Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 10:02pm
post #12 of 18

I've seen it on Saturday morning infomercials, but I bought mine at a department store (I've seen them at Kohl's, Sears, Walmart). Shark is the brand name. It is basically a mop that cleans floors with steam and uses washable pads that attach to the mop head with velcro. You pour tap water into a reservoir on the mop, plug it in, wait about 30 seconds for the water to heat and then mop. The steam cleans really well (no chemicals needed but sometimes I spray a little clorox cleanup on stubborn areas). I like the ease of it - no sloppy bucket, no chemicals, clean floor. It ain't perfect, but I like it better than any other mop I've tried.

mellormom Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 10:05pm
post #13 of 18

Thanks!
Jen...

koolaidstains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koolaidstains Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 1:13pm
post #14 of 18

I like the plain old cotton mops. They do the best job of cleaning. Of course I also use my kids LOL. One of my punishments is get a rag and clean all the gunk on the floor uner the cabinet lip. Why does that one area get so freaking dirty?

thecupcakemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecupcakemom Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 2:05pm
post #15 of 18

Love my Shark!!! Used my 20% coupon at Bed Bath and Beyond. I have four small kids...works like a charm.

rcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcs Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 2:20pm
post #16 of 18

I vote for the Hoover Floor Mate, too! I love mine! I usually keep it somewhere where it's handy because I use it alot!! I like the fact that it sucks the dirty water back up. It does a decent job of scrubbing, also!

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 2:59am
post #17 of 18

Household help once a week... or the DH!!

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 3:43pm
post #18 of 18

for those of you who have the steam shark, on average, how long does one pad last? I know you can wash them, but how long do you use them for? I saw the infomercial on TV and thought it was a neat concept, but wondered how cheap it was built, saw it at bed bath and beyond last weekend and tried the floor sample and found myself thinking about buying one, but didn't. Now that I know other people use and like them, I am curious how long one pad lasts or is this something that you are constantly replacing for $$$ ? Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%