How Do I Stop The Bulging??

Decorating By saramachen Updated 28 Aug 2008 , 10:38pm by CindiM

saramachen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saramachen Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 12:59pm
post #1 of 11

So I had my final class for Wiltons Gumpaste and Fondant course. I made a 6" square WASC filled with strawberry filling... I made my buttercream and added what i thought was a lot of extra sugar to my bc to make a stiff dam, and i did a 2 layer dam, but the stupid filling still bulged out the side... grrrrr... Any suggestions or tips on filling would be greatly appreciated.

10 replies
jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 1:10pm
post #2 of 11

Just a suggestion-- Make sure your dam is not right on the edge of the cake, it should be set in some. also after I have dammed and filled and placed the top layer on I take my hand an gently push down all the way around. One of our members here said she places a book on top overnight. I also wait overnight to do the final icing/fondant. That way the cake has time to settle and if there is any bulging I take my spatula and clean it off.
When I edited I noticed that you did a 2 layer dam, just do 1 time around with a #12 tip.

Jibbies

flamingobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingobaker Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 1:16pm
post #3 of 11

I used to have a lot of trouble with this too. icon_mad.gif
I'm not sure if you mean that the you could see strawberry coming through the frosting or if it was just a bulge of something under the frosting but...it sounds like your dam was too high. You really only need about 1/2 inch or so. I use the plastic coupler without a tip on it to do my dam.
Also, gently push down the top layer when you first put it on so that you can see if there will be any bulging.
If your cakes are frozen or chilled when you stack them, give them time after crumb coating to settle fully.
icon_biggrin.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 1:19pm
post #4 of 11

Stop eating your cakes?? icon_lol.gificon_wink.gif

But seriously.. my method is similar to Jibbies.. I don't wait overnight, because some fillings require refrigeration and it would make the icing firm up and not really let the cake settle. But do press on your layers as you stack them.. and if you can let it sit out for a while to settle. Making sure your filling layers aren't too thick helps a lot too. I torte my cakes so there is 4 layers of cake and 3 layers of filling and my filling layers are a tinge over 1/8 inch thick. If you only do one layer of filling make sure it's no more than 1/4 inch thick.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 1:27pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

Stop eating your cakes?? icon_lol.gificon_wink.gif

icon_lol.gif Actually that's what went through my mind when I saw the title icon_lol.gif

Jibbies

saramachen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saramachen Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 1:43pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks. I do make sure my dam is in about 1/4 - 1/2 inch from the edge of the cake. It was a pretty thick layer of filling so that is probably my issue with this particular cake. My 2 layer dam was probably close to an inch tall. I also was in a huge rush so i torted, filled, crumb coated and covered with fondant in less than 20 minutes. Not a normal procedure, but it was for a class and i was in a hurry.

Stop eating the cake... but thats the best part icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Thanks again for your tips... i just need to keep practising - this was only my 4th or 5th filled cake ever.

Jkalman - i am making my b-day cake this weeked and i am very excited to try your SMBC!

CindiM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindiM Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 1:49pm
post #7 of 11

Here is a different way. It may or may not work for you.
Nothing against the dam, but, I stopped doing the "dam" thing, years ago icon_eek.gif! That is one less step!

I make sure my layers are cut level.
I put less filling in the cake, about 1/2 inch from the edge. When I put the top layer on the filling, it spreads it out and the small edge area is filled with icing when I ice the cake. I used to always put too much filling in the cake. I taught myself to stop doing that!
I check with a level on top, cover with saran wrap and
let the cake rest over night or at least a few hours after filling. Use a good firm icing (like sugarshacks thumbs_up.gif ) on your cake before you cover with fondant.

jenmac75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmac75 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 2:06pm
post #8 of 11

The best results I've had are after buying Sugarshack's buttercream DVD. There is a section on there about getting rid of the bulge and it's helped me out tremendously. Plus, her stiff icing recipe does the trick too!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 6:24pm
post #9 of 11

The thick filling layer was your issue then..

Cindi.. I'd have a hard time thinking that would work for something like a fruit puree or a pastry cream.. but for flavored buttercreams I sometimes skip the dam too.

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 6:45pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenmac75

The best results I've had are after buying Sugarshack's buttercream DVD. There is a section on there about getting rid of the bulge and it's helped me out tremendously. Plus, her stiff icing recipe does the trick too!

I use 75% Crisco + 25% unsalted Butter icing and this is what I do:
I normally do the thick BC damp, crump coat and let the cake rest a couple of hours; if bulging occurs then I put the cake in the freezer for 12-15 minutes and cut the bulge with a sharp knife; then either cover with fondant or ice with BC.

I learned that watching SugarShackâs fondant video tooâ¦itâs awesome!

CindiM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindiM Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 10:38pm
post #11 of 11

jkalman, Hello,

You are correct, it would not work with a runny filling.

I mainly use the "sleeve" commercial fillings and the "No dam" method works quite well for me. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%