Need Help With Basketweave

Decorating By Gaut Updated 19 Aug 2005 , 3:54am by kellyh57

Gaut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gaut Posted 13 Aug 2005 , 12:27pm
post #1 of 6

Hi,

I would like to practice my basketweave. I don't know how to divide the cake to make the weave even. Can someone explain how to do this?
Thanks.
Deb

5 replies
katiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katiecake Posted 13 Aug 2005 , 10:10pm
post #2 of 6

we were taught to use the width of out small spatula use a tooth pick to draw a line thru the icing
hope thay helps-saves trying to divide the cake into 60some odd pieces!

PinkPanther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkPanther Posted 13 Aug 2005 , 10:15pm
post #3 of 6

Hi Deb,

I don't divide the cake to basketweave. I just make a starting point in the back and go all around the cake. When I get back to the starting point, I judge how much room I have left. That way if one of the lines overlaps, at least it's in the back. Hope that makes sense.

Or you could place your cake on one of those plastic divider sheets and mark it with a toothpick equally around. Hope this helps some! icon_smile.gif

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 15 Aug 2005 , 5:36am
post #4 of 6

I never use a divider either. Just measure each weave with a dowel stick or something like that & draw a line to where to put your next weave. I usually just eyeball it but till you get used to basketweave it might be easier to measure that way. Good luck~

Niki027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niki027 Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 1:48pm
post #5 of 6

I don't measure either. I just eyeball it.

kellyh57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyh57 Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 3:54am
post #6 of 6

Halve your cake and then halve again (into fourths) and keep halving until your lines are as close as you want them.

Kelly

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%