http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/gloucestershire/7584015.stm
Wish they would tell us the flavor.
Neat.
I think I would have eaten it though! icon_biggrin.gif

12 replies
michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 8:23pm
post #2 of 13

Reminds me of the "Seinfeld" ep. where Elaine at the pice of cake from Princess Grace's wedding (or someone's) and tried to replace it w/ Entemann's.

ASimpleBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ASimpleBaker Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 8:36pm
post #3 of 13

It is beautifull, but $2000.00 american seems a bit much for a piece of old wedding cake (no matter whose it might be) Amazing what people will waste money on. IMHO!!

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 8:36pm
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellenj

Reminds me of the "Seinfeld" ep. where Elaine at the pice of cake from Princess Grace's wedding (or someone's) and tried to replace it w/ Entemann's.

Exactly! LOL - I thought the very same thing - the piece of wedding cake from King Edward, who abdicated the throne to marry Wallis Simpson.

junny629 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
junny629 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 8:41pm
post #5 of 13

Wow, how is it still in such great condition? Smart of her to save that piece of cake.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 8:42pm
post #6 of 13

Their cakes were traditional rich fruit cakes, and whilst those things last a good while (mental note to self - I'm actually late making my rich fruit cakes for Christmas - they should be made and maturing by now!), 27 years is really pushing it!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 8:45pm
post #7 of 13

I read in another article that it was a slice of marzipan and icing rather than cake.

I know traditional celebration cakes in England are fruit cakes covered with marzipan, and royal icing.

junny629 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
junny629 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 8:45pm
post #8 of 13

That's right, bonjovibabe. I should've thought of that. Been living in the UK for 2 years now. Duh!! Fruit cake.

DesignsByMandie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignsByMandie Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 8:58pm
post #9 of 13

Ewww....That was a beautiful piece though...Hmmm I bet the actual one for everyone else was spectacular!! I wish I had that kind of money to spend on almost 30 year old cake!! icon_smile.gif Very Interesting though!

marccrand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marccrand Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 9:20pm
post #10 of 13

Are you kidding! If I had the money (and the know-how to be in on such things thumbs_up.gif ) I would've totally bought it!

27 years? How old am I??? icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

DEBBIE157 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DEBBIE157 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 9:46pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellenj

yes! I thought the same thing! icon_lol.gif

Debbie

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 9:54pm
post #12 of 13

I love how the article says the one who bought it wishes to remain anonymous. Wouldn't you, too? Then everyone would know the idiot who paid that much for a slice of old cake!

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 9:55pm
post #13 of 13

Darn! It's not from their actual wedding cake, but instead a cake made in honor of the wedding and shared as a thank you to certain staff members!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%