Best Cake Backdrop?

Decorating By tonia3604 Updated 27 Aug 2008 , 9:55pm by DesignsByMandie

tonia3604 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonia3604 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 4:36pm
post #1 of 6

Anybody got any suggestions on what to use for a cake backdrop? What kind of material? Any color in particular look best? TIA

5 replies
Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 5:18pm
post #2 of 6

I would think it all depends on the color of the cake. But always have plenty of natural lighting.

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 9:22pm
post #3 of 6

My go-to backdrop is a sky blue roll of wrapping paper, but it does depend on the cake you're photographing.

Here's a good tutorial if you need it:
http://www.cakedalaska.com/Caked_Alaska/Photo_tutorial.html

HTH,
Deanna

DesignsByMandie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignsByMandie Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 9:51pm
post #4 of 6

For my wedding cake dummy I used a white linen sheet. I was a fancy sheet that we do not use and I tacked it to the wall with just push pins. And I swirled it around the bottom of my cake. I didn't have good enough lighting but I did like the effect that I got with the sheet...That is my opinion. The rest of my cakes I tend to just take a pic where ever they are finished...Which probably isnt the best idea....I agree though with depending on the color. I only did this one cake in front of the sheet. But HTH icon_smile.gif

dee-lite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dee-lite Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 9:52pm
post #5 of 6

I use the trifold boards that can be purchased at the craft store (the kind kids use for science fairs) one flat out on tabe and one set up opened up as backdrop.They are about $3 each. I have a black set and a white set and try to use the white as much as possible to not totally burn all the black ink in my printer...Plenty of natural light if no flash available...HTH

DesignsByMandie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignsByMandie Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 9:55pm
post #6 of 6

dee-lite that is a great idea....I may have to borrow that one!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%