Guitar Strings

Decorating By TheCakerator Updated 28 Aug 2008 , 2:25pm by MissRobin

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 3:51pm
post #1 of 8

What's the best way to make guitar strings ? Thanks ...

7 replies
makandmatsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makandmatsmom Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 5:39pm
post #2 of 8

I have been looking at many many pictures in preparation to do my first guitar cake, and the best strings I have seen so far are thin spaghetti. From what I have read they are also the easiest to work with. HTH...... Maybe someone with some experience can give you some more insight icon_lol.gif

TheCakerator Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 6:14pm
post #3 of 8

thank you for the reply .. I noticed spaghetti for strings as well ... looks like most are luster dusted?

SweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetArt Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 9:46pm
post #4 of 8

When I made my guitar cake, spaghetti was way too short, so I used gumpaste I pushed through an extruder (fondant gun). I took a yard stick and pushed all the strands straight and then let them dry. Then painted them silver. When I picked them up to put them on the cake, they did have a slight bend from their size, but laid straight on the cake.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 11:22pm
post #5 of 8

i pipe mine in light grey royal icing, using a square dowel as a guide. i drop a line of icing just a fraction away from the dowel in one straight line.

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 11:39pm
post #6 of 8

I used fondant with the clay gun as well. worked really well for me.

good luck!!

TheCakerator Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 1:55pm
post #7 of 8

thanks you guys .. unfortunately I do not have a clay gun extruder ... something I should probably get before to long ...

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 2:25pm
post #8 of 8

I used the extruder also and fondant, laid them on the cake as I did them, however as they dry they get brittle so I would do them right before delivery.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%