Help With Fondant

Baking By kickasscakes Updated 7 Sep 2008 , 6:59pm by VickiG

kickasscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kickasscakes Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 1:03am
post #1 of 6

I have a cake order due in October. My customer wants a cake in the shape of a music note, and covered in fondant. Any ideas on how to do this?

She would like a single tier- and I am nervous with the shape of the cake being odd shaped. Are there cake pans that come in the shape of a musical note? Or is it best to carve a sheet cake?

Needs to serve 20 people...

5 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 5:11am
post #2 of 6

I think you could use a round pan and a square pan. The round cake would be the big part of the note, with maybe a bit shaved off to make it a little more oval than round, then the square would be carved to make the the other parts.

kickasscakes Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 5:20am
post #3 of 6

Thanks for your reply. How do I cover the fondant with the odd shapes, and all without having creases, folds and tears?

bcake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcake1960 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 5:41am
post #4 of 6

Roll it large enough to cover and work slowly and one section at a time.. dont get in a hurry.. (I tend to do that.) When carving the cake take in to account you will need to be able to cover it.. so try to leave enough room and no really small sections.. hth's

kickasscakes Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 5:49am
post #5 of 6

thanks for your help!
Any more tips?

VickiG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickiG Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 6:59pm
post #6 of 6

I had this same worry too with the cake I'm about to do. So hopefully this will work for me too.

What I'd recommend as far as the shape goes, is to find a music note pattern on internet (coloring pages for example). Bake 1 or 2 sheet cakes, cool, freeze and then lay the pattern on top of the cake and trim away.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%