Not Sure What I Should Make...

Decorating By hallfamily727 Updated 27 Aug 2008 , 3:03pm by projectqueen

hallfamily727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hallfamily727 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 8:00pm
post #1 of 8

My grandmother's sister (my great aunt) passed away yesterday. She was 91. I hadn't seen her in a least 10 years, so we weren't close but my grandmother is obviously deeply saddened. The funeral is out of town, but she will be buried where I leave and there will be a graveside service. No one has asked me, but I didn't know if I should make something (cake/cupcake-wise) for after the graveside service or just something to take to my grandmother to cheer her up. Thoughts? Ideas? HELP!

Carrie

7 replies
sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 3:58am
post #2 of 8

Grave side seems a bit off.. unless they are having a picknic which is doubtfull. Generally people will gather at someone's house or church's rec hall... in both places you wouldn't even need to ask-just take something simple and elegant( in a container you will not need to ask to have back) along with your soft shoulder and butterfly kisses. You being there is the most important. ((( Hugs)))

hallfamily727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hallfamily727 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 2:01pm
post #3 of 8

Yes, I didn't mean actually at the graveside service. I just meant that it was the service being held in the town we live in.

calynmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calynmom Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 2:10pm
post #4 of 8

I would make a simple cake maybe a bundt cake or something.

Cookies would be good if children will be around.

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 2:16pm
post #5 of 8

Ya know....this might sound unconventional to some but it might help ease the tension (assuming she was very loved) to make a cake that is in remembrance of her. Did she like to knit? Make a 3D cake like Ace of Cakes did with balls of yarn in a basket. Maybe she was a grandma riding Harley risktaker. Take her favorite past time (find out from your grandmother - maybe get her approval to do so) and turn it into a cake! Explaining the cake to people will produce and instant smile and people will be talking about their memories of her instead of concentrating on her passing.
For you to take the time/effort to do this is very touching. Sorry for your families loss.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 2:18pm
post #6 of 8

She didn't say they were for the graveside service.. she was asking if she should bring something for after the service or to bring something to her grandmother later. icon_smile.gif And I agree.. bring anything you want and just be there for your grandmother. Maybe ask her if they need anything in particular. Is she big on sweets? If she is then I would bring her something in a week or so as well and make it special for her. I hope her heart can begin to heal and with family supporting her it will happen sooner.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 2:36pm
post #7 of 8

Most funeral cakes I have seen are either a sheet with a sheaf of flowers on it, and a favorite quote or "In Remembrance of ___"; or a simple 'family-style' cake.

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 3:03pm
post #8 of 8

I have seen those cakes in the shape of a cross with roses on them and they are quite beautiful. Maybe that would be appropriate? You wouldn't have to write anything on it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%