My First Cake, What A Nightmare!

Decorating By cakedivamommy Updated 31 Aug 2008 , 11:52pm by SugaredUp

cakedivamommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedivamommy Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 6:04am
post #1 of 19

I guess I should not have tried to replicate Lisa Shepleys cake found here,

http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2007/05/lisa_takes_the_caketo_a_new_le.html

as my first real fondant cake. It was a NIGHTMARE for me. I tried making homeade BC for the first time and it turned out extremely grainy. If anyone has a good recipe they wouldnt mind sharing I would be very greatful! It took me several hours to try to make the cake anything worth presenting to my grandmother for her birthday. Everyone said that it was a beautiful cake but I know they were just saying that to be nice. Or, maybe we are our own worst critic.

Does anyone have any tips to tone down the Wilton colors? I used a very small amount of pink to achieve a lighter color but ended up with almost hot pink!

Thanks for letting me vent everyone!
LL
LL

18 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 10:04am
post #2 of 19

Hi and Welcome to CC, lroberts74. icon_smile.gif

Decoding CC acronyms:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926-.html

Your cake is quite lovely! (Think you're being much too hard on yourself.)

EVERYTHING you ever wanted to know about making your 1st tiered cake:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-5958955-.html

Link to Wilton's updated cake making & decorating help:

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/

Illustrated guide to cutting neat slices of tiered cake by indydebi:
(Much easier than the Wilton method.)

http://cateritsimple.com/_wsn/page10.html

HTH

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 10:38am
post #3 of 19

It's really not a bad replication of the cake. icon_smile.gif I think the only issue you might have experienced is the fondant being soft, and the color. Did you use the gel colors, or luster dust? The original called for luster dust, which would give you a much more toned down pink.

Overall, I think you did a wonderful job, and kudos on your first fondant cake!

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 10:39am
post #4 of 19

I just want to say that I like your cake. If your looking for a better buttercream recipe look here on CC for the buttercream dream icing recipe from indydebi. It is soooo much better then the wilton one. As for toning down the colors....add just a few drops of color at a time. Also...try the Wilton lightner for colors...it works great for toning down, I use it alot. Good luck!

annacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annacakes Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 11:02am
post #5 of 19

Your cake was very, very well done. We ARE our own worst critics. Emrldsky is right. The luster dust would probably have given you the colour you were looking for. Give yourself a pat on the back. Congrats on a great "first fondant" cake.

CakeDiva70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva70 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 11:16am
post #6 of 19

Yes, we are our own worst critic......... I actually think you did a great job!!! It is very pretty. Congratulations!!!

CakeDiva70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva70 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 11:16am
post #7 of 19

Sorry for the double post

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 11:27am
post #8 of 19

Your cake looks perfect I'd try air brushing but it looks great just the way it is
I love it. I'd like to know how to do that.
Molly

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 2:29pm
post #9 of 19

Heck! I give you kudos for trying this elaborate cake as your first effort with fondant!!

My goodness, woman - it's lovely!!! YOU may know what's wrong, but Grandma wouldn't...except, if you are anything like me, you stood there and pointed out everything wrong! haha

Give yourself a break, you did super!!! thumbs_up.gif

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 3:02pm
post #10 of 19

I actually like the color...the bold is pretty!

Grainy buttercream? Were you using a cooked recipe like italian/swiss meringue, or just the classic uncooked with powdered sugar and shortening?

lilahcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilahcakes Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 11:56pm
post #11 of 19

I think you did really good, thats awsome just think it was your first. Keep it up and they are just going to get better and better. thumbs_up.gif

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 12:13am
post #12 of 19

i think we are our own worst critics icon_biggrin.gif I think you did a lovely job.

as for the buttercream, I've always used crusting buttercream on here...the one you can use with the viva method.

and anytime you paint directly with the paste paints for colors you are going to get the straight color it says on the bottle. Next time try americolor and you can thin it out with a little bit of vanilla. Americolor is nice because you only need to use a couple of drops and it is a gel instead of a paste.

I think you should pat yourself on your back! I don't even know if I'M brave enough to try that cake! icon_wink.gif

lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 12:22am
post #13 of 19

Nice job!! That can't be your first cake?? Wow. thumbs_up.gif

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 12:28am
post #14 of 19

You did a great job! That is a really cool cake and quite a cake to attempt for your first cake!!

cakedivamommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedivamommy Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 5:10am
post #15 of 19

Thank you everyone for your kind words on my first attempt with fondant!

emrldsky~ I was having trouble with the fondant being soft. I made MMF for this cake and never using fondant before I probably should have used a premade by Wilton but I have read horror stories on here about it being gross! I planned on using luster dust but I made a mistake and bought shimmer powder instead and it looked horrible so I omitted that. Do you have any tips on making MMF more firm?

jenlg~ Is there more than one type of coloring I can use? I used the gels as mostly everyone talks about. I will have to look for other kinds. Thank you!

Molly2~ Do you have an airbrush that you would recommend? I have researched them but the one I read about often no one likes b/c it clogs up. I would love to find a good one! There are instructions in the link that I posted. The original called for 3 layers and I didnt need that much cake so I only used 2. If it is confusing pm me and I will tell you what I did. GOOD LUCK if you decide to make it!

Homemade-Goodies~ You and I must be alot alike! I stood there quietly for the longest time looking at every imperfection thinking of how I could have done it differently. After awhile I had to say something to my sister and point out everything wrong. Oh well, we learn from our mistakes!

4Gifts4Lisa~ I was using a classic BC recipe. I am going to try Indydebi's the next time I need to make BC. I see alot of people mentioning that this is a wonderful recipe. The one that I used had a youtube demonstration that I watched while making it. Could heat/humidity play a factor in making BC?

step0nmi~ Can you buy Americolor in stores or is it an online only product? I will have to try it out!

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 11:31am
post #16 of 19

Iroberts

I have the Airmaster Complete Airbrush System from kopykakes I use it all the time I am a real stickler about cleaning it after each use and I do use the Kopykake's Airbrush Cleaning Fluid I'm told that you can use cleaners over the counter, I think I was told dish soap etc. but I figure if I spend that much money on something I'll use what's recommended. I have not had any problem with my system and I have had it over 2 1/2 years
Thank you for sharing your instruction your cake is just fantastic!

Molly

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 11:58am
post #17 of 19

I LOVE your cake, and the fact that you tok it on as your first makes me a big fan of YOU too!

Wilton paste is hard to paint with. I would have used a really thinned out powder color (from Chefmaster?) with Lemon extract (because it is illegal to buy everclear in NYS !!!! Ugh. costing me a fortune!) then gone over it with luster dust and a light hit with the airbrush to give it more depth. Of course all of this is easy for me to say, never having done the cake, and simply letting you make the mistakes first! Same ones I might have made!

I also think it looks like MMF is too soft for this application, but there are many other premade fondants out there that taste a LOT better than Wilton, I hear, some taste quite good apparently.

So, do it all again, ha ha, and when you get it right, I will make YOU walk ME through it!
Good luck!!
It IS a beautiful cake!

lilyanddayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilyanddayne Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 2:30pm
post #18 of 19

The cake looks great.
As for the BC, are you creaming well before adding the powdered sugar and are you sifting the powdered sugar a couple times? I hate the wilton colors and the Americolors are sooo much nicer to work with. As for the MMF, you can thicken it by adding more powdered sugar. I would rather it be to think than to thin. I can always soften it a bit with the microwave (6 seconds).Use name brand marshmallows also, I don't know why, but they work better for me. And make sure your sugar is cane sugar not beet sugar you can taste a difference.

SugaredUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUp Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 11:52pm
post #19 of 19

I think you did great for that being your first cake, especially! That is a very difficult looking cake. A lot of firsts for you, which can be overwhelming. Your first time making homemade BC, first time making a cake - wow! I use the Supreme Butter Cream recipe which is posted here in the recipes section. It's great cuz it uses granulated and powdered sugar, and the taste is less sweet than some of the others. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%