Price And Shipping Cut Out Cookies

Business By bmullard Updated 27 Aug 2008 , 11:50am by GeminiRJ

bmullard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmullard Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 7:04pm
post #1 of 7

Hi all,
Hoping this is the right spot to ask this question.... I have been asked to make a dozen hand decorated cutout cookies. I have never sold cookies before so I don't know how much to charge. Plus I need to ship them 2 states over and I want to make sure they arrive safely. I thought I saw a thread on how to send cookies through the mail a VERY long time ago, but I couldn't find it.

Any help is much appreciated!
Thanks!
Brenda

6 replies
holoien003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holoien003 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 9:12pm
post #2 of 7

I send cookies all the time to my family (1250 miles away) I just decorate and ship with bubble wrap (because there is normally other stuff in the package too I bubble wrap each cookie)...works everytime. I even froze some before I shipped them out once and that worked too.

bmullard Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 11:33pm
post #3 of 7

ooohhhh freezing, I never thought of that. And they weren't soggy or anything?

holoien003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holoien003 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 2:26am
post #4 of 7

Nope, my dad said they tasted fresh like I just made them. icon_smile.gif

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 5:50pm
post #5 of 7

Most CC cookie decorators recommend charging $1 per inch. If the cookie is an odd size, use an average. For instance, if it's 2" in one direction, and 4" in the other, the average is 3" so $3.00 for that cookie. If the cookies are being individually packaged, be sure to add that onto the cost. Only you will know what your area can handle for costs, but this is a good jumping-off point.

bmullard Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 1:15am
post #6 of 7

Thanks for that formula. Has anyone ever gotten a lot of guff from people saying they charge too much for their cookies?

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 11:50am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmullard

Thanks for that formula. Has anyone ever gotten a lot of guff from people saying they charge too much for their cookies?

Yes! Check out some of the posts on the cookie forum. Then check out the prices of "Cookies by Design". They're way more expensive. Some decorators will direct customers to the C by D website for price comparison, or simply quote those prices. Many customers think cookies are "just cookies" instead of individual, custom-created desserts.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%