Storing Unused Gumpaste

Decorating By oceanspitfire Updated 26 Aug 2008 , 1:19am by lilahcakes

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 6:03pm
post #1 of 5

I made a batch of fondant gumpaste mix, ie fondant with a bit of gumtex added almost a week ago, I want to use it tomorrow for making Gerberas- I just was rearranging my suitcase just now(taking the decorating stuff on the plane) and the fondant gumpaste mix is rock hard! But I wrapped it super well in plastic wrap several times and a thick plastic bag and it was and is airtight. So will I be able to soften it again say in the microwave? It has been at room temperature the whole time, no freezing or fridge. UGH I know regular fondant sits fine at room temp and well wrapped- but this block is seriously rock hard. HELP!

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 6:35pm
post #2 of 5

You might be able to reserect it by adding some water or egg white. It will be messy kneading it inicon_sad.gif MW'ing it a few seconds might also help, but it will shorten the time you can handle it...it dries out really fast.

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 10:07pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

You might be able to reserect it by adding some water or egg white. It will be messy kneading it inicon_sad.gif MW'ing it a few seconds might also help, but it will shorten the time you can handle it...it dries out really fast.

So am I right to assume that when you make a batch of gumpaste, ideally you're supposed to use it right away? I mean fondant stores OK and I've had it well wrapped at room temp, as well as under refrigeration and it was either still soft enough to use, or was workable after warming a bit in the microwave.
A silly question bearing in mind that this is the first time I'm working with gumpaste: how much egg white to add, do I beat it first with a fork until it's frothy, or does it have to be whipped entirely? I don't have Woolley's book at hand where he goes into lots of details about the flower dough he makes. And the only forum posts I've seen here about storing gumpaste, have to do with after it's been turned into flowers or figurines etc.
TIA for any tips or clarification

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 12:56am
post #4 of 5

Sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner.....I was decorating a cakeicon_smile.gif
Just straignt egg white; dip some of the hard gp into it and knead away. Keep dipping if needed. Same if you use wate4r.
I have kept gp in the frig for several weeks - wrapped as you mentioned.
JFYI: GumTex really doesn't make gumpaste. What you gtet is more pastaglige(sp??) It dries faster & harder than gp.

lilahcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilahcakes Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 1:19am
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the info on what to do for gumpaste that has gotten hard. I bought the rynolds vacuume seal , it suck all the air out of the baggie.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%