If You Mark A Cake As A Favorite You Should Leave A Comment.

Decorating By Baking_Booth Updated 28 Aug 2008 , 11:45pm by __Jamie__

cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 11:00pm
post #31 of 69

Speaking for myself, I'm just happy when it says that one of my cakes is a favorite. That tickles me.

As for leaving comments, this web site has become very slow to reload and refresh for me, so if I can just get a cake saved as a favorite, I'm pleased as punch, and I don't think about commenting.

Just my .02...

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 11:09pm
post #32 of 69

Mike, you are too funny.... icon_lol.gif I love that people take the time to leave me a comment, or to save it.. either makes me smile..
I love that I can do the same....... and I have a lot of saved favorites..
Thanks CCer's thumbs_up.gif

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 11:16pm
post #33 of 69

You know, there should be a big fat sticky addressing this very subject for newbies to read before they post the three hundred and twenty-seventh gripe post on this subject. Oh, wait a minute......THERE IS ONE!!!

icon_biggrin.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 11:26pm
post #34 of 69

Is a compliment to be saved and a double compliment to be commented...but then again sometimes I barely have time to look at new photos. Usually I come around and answer questions in the forums and PM's people send.
By the time I am done, I spent all my time on that
icon_redface.gif.. But when I look at photos, I do leave comments..icon_biggrin.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

dabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dabear Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 11:31pm
post #35 of 69

I am so sad to see this topic again. This topic is exactly why people have quit leaving comments. And people getting offended because you said their cake is beautiful, but didn't write out why you thought it was beautiful. When I first joined there were lots of comments and never any pages of uncommented cakes. I can honestly say I can't remember the uncommented pages being under 3 now. I know I don't comment like I used to. I used to log on just to comment on the cakes I liked. My husband told me I was an CC addict! icon_lol.gif I like what Mike said too!

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 11:40pm
post #36 of 69

LOL Shelle_75! I think it probably needs to be in BIG BOLD LETTERS on every board! lol But people are still not going to read it. I think whenever someone posts one of these threads, one of the moderators should put an immediate stop to any replys on that thread and leave the link for the sticky post that is already there!

Saving to favorites is a HUGE compliment, IMO. I may not leave a compliment on every photo, but that doesn't mean I don't like it AND if I want to know something about someone's cake, I'll PM them and to me, that is a huge compliment. If the cake really speaks something to me, I will definately leave a comment, but I'm not going to leave one on every cake I look at just to be leaving one. I don't, nor ever have, received a lot of compliments on my cakes. Does it bother me? Not really. I'd much rather see a SINCERE compliment vs someone just to leave something.

What bugs me are people who post a photo, receives lots of comments/questions and never checks back to say thank you, answer questions or anything. IMO, those people should remove the comment ability. It's just courtesy to say thank you when people offer compliments.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 12:01am
post #37 of 69

Oh come on everybody, here we go again with another thread thats going to be locked.
If you want comments do what I do, copy the shortcut and tack it on to an answer to a post. Don't attach the pic, put the shortcut, that way when they go to look (and you know we will) it will count in the # of views, sometimes you even get a bonus comment.
My computer crashed back in February and it was so corrupted that the only way that we were going to be able to get anything off of the hard drive was to send it to a forensic recovery at the cost of $1600.00 with no guarantee that they could get anything. When I got a new hard drive installed I came to CC and guess what there were my pics, some of them had been directly downloaded from a digital camera and I had no hard copy. But CC had them. At that point in time favs and comments meant little.

Jibbies

jackmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackmo Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 12:16am
post #38 of 69

when a person puts my cake pics in their favorites, that is a great enough compliment to me!

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 4:52am
post #39 of 69

*puts some Orville Redinbocker in the microwave*

They never learn, do they? icon_wink.gif

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 4:58am
post #40 of 69

Nope, they don't, bless their li'l ol' hearts. It can't be an easy life, bein' so sensitive an' all.

*pours lemonade for the gang*

Baking_Booth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking_Booth Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 5:25am
post #41 of 69

icon_surprised.gif Wow. Some people get so jumpy about this topic, I had no idea it was so controversial. lol. It was more an observation than anything. I just thought that some of them will have a ton of views but no one says anything that's all. It is a huge compliment to have some one favorite a pic and I definitely don't take it personal or believe that everyone has to leave a comment it's just a little bit of encouragement or a good word is nice to hear. That's all. I didn't know this topic had been brought up before or that people felt so strongly about it. I also didn't know that people got upset about simple comments like, "beautiful cake". Jeez.
Sorry I upset so many people. icon_redface.gif

YanYan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YanYan Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 5:39am
post #42 of 69

poor newb I am a cake newbie and i feel for ya

u didn't know it was already posted and you got slammed but hey it's life icon_biggrin.gif

the truth is when comments are left it gives you a boost and encourages you. But each community has its own culture and CC's is different people here are really busy and there are a bazillion of cakes here. So like other posters said, if your cake gets viewed among the bazillion of others consider it a compliment.

Maybe you can make a post in a forum about a cake you are particularly proud of and talk about what were your challenges and successes like

"first wedding cake and they loved it"
and then put the pic and I'm sure you'll get comments.

But as was said it's a busy site you come you read, you form bonds, you give and advice, share, get inspired and educated on the latest buzz in cakedom and then click out. What with consultations and torting and filling and making perfect SMBC many look smile and fav mean absolutely no harm doing so. Be encouraged, work hard, do you comments or not!!

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 6:18am
post #43 of 69

If I see a cake and think, oh I want to try that someday, I put it in my favorites. If I see a cake and really like something they did on it but have no plans of doing it myself, I leave a comment for them telling them what I like. I "assume" the photos I saved the member knows I really loved their cake, what more needs to be said.

"You can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time, but you canât please all of the people all of the time." John Lydgate

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 6:40am
post #44 of 69

Another thing to think about is that not every member speaks English. I know that if I were to look at pictures in a forum where I don't speak the dominant language, I would be unlikely to leave comments because, (1) it is very unlikely that the person who posted the picture would understand what I wrote and (2) most of the other people reading the forum wouldn't, either.

I am ecstatic when my pictures get viewed, and even happier when they get marked as favorites. I can pretend, just for a short time, that I am bumping elbows with some ot the major talent we have at CC!

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 4:01pm
post #45 of 69

Let me tell you, when I got my first pic saved in someones fav...I screamed and was telling my DH "Somebody saved my cake into their favorites" he didn't understand what the big deal was. I don't need a comment, although its nice I think that my pic being saved is more than enough to boost my ego.

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 4:11pm
post #47 of 69

I gotta tell you, I am far more flattered having someone actually want to save one of my cakes to look at again then to leave a comment. Besides, haven't we all been scrolling thru 50 comments and they all say "Beautiful work" lol. It's wonderful to hear but I am still happier to see a high "favorite" count. I guess I don't see what the big deal is not having comments. I have lots of cakes with either no comments or only one or two - no biggie. icon_smile.gif I should turn mine off too, lol.

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 5:25pm
post #48 of 69

I was doing my duty with being a gallery member and doing the "uncommented photos" thing when I ran across a cake where everything was in Spanish.

A cold sweat broke out and then the shakes came upon me.

Oh wait! My room mate is Mexican and fluent in English, Spanish, and Portugese (sp?). I called him out to help me translate and he gave me a couple links for translation.

I commented in detail on it using the translator.

20 minutes later I get a PM in Spanish. LOL I called him back out again to translate and he responded saying he was my room mate and translating this for me. he explained that I used a link to translate and I don't know a lick of Spanish.

She laughed and replied back saying she used a translator to reply back in English this time and went on to thank me knowing I went to that extent to see she got a comment on her cake.

He lies... I do know some Spanish, the imortant words! taco, cerveza, tortilla, quesadilla. I will never go thirsty or hungry in Mexico. icon_lol.gif

charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 5:41pm
post #49 of 69

CarolynGwen I just wanted to say thank you!! You made me laugh today! I appriciate it (in any language LOL)

doughdough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doughdough Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 5:48pm
post #50 of 69

And furthermore, if I leave a comment, then I expect a PM thanking me for the comment, and then I must send a PM thanking you for thanking me about the comment, and so on and so forth until the end of time!!

(If anyone is wondering, I am KIDDING!!!) icon_lol.gif

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 10:39pm
post #51 of 69

Sheesh. Get over it. I hate these threads. I did not have time to sit and read four pages about this. If I mark a photo as my favorite, then I think that is more of a compliment than if I leave a comment. I love how people like to tell us what to do with my free time. This one just hit my last nerve today.

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 1:57am
post #52 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

That is EXACTLY why I turned off comments on my photos. I wanted people to be able to view, save...whatever without feeling obligated to leave a comment. I am not saying that I don't like comments or commenting. I just don't like the idea that someone would feel they had to.

Good thinking.

I agree that making it a favorite is 10xs better than the comment.

I know I see a cake and think that is Beautiuful but afraid to write that because members here have complained about leaving general words like beautiful, very nice, creative, etc.... They want you to be detailed. I like the color skeem, the mix of flowers match so well, bla, bla, bla. I spend too much time on the computer as it is. Sometimes you just can't win.

If I was concerned about comments, favorites, wording, copying I just wouldn't post my picture.

I post mine so perhaps someone that needs an idea for a cake it may be of help. I don't expect or want credit if you copy one of my cakes, I don't care if you leave a comment and I'm flattered if you make it a favorite but if you don't I'm not going to complain. I post picture with no strings attached.

Janette Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 2:10am
post #53 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelle_75

You know, there should be a big fat sticky addressing this very subject for newbies to read before they post the three hundred and twenty-seventh gripe post on this subject. Oh, wait a minute......THERE IS ONE!!!

icon_biggrin.gif

Come on you know they can get to be funny after the 20th time.

Janette Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 2:20am
post #54 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM77

Sheesh. Get over it. I hate these threads. I did not have time to sit and read four pages about this. If I mark a photo as my favorite, then I think that is more of a compliment than if I leave a comment. I love how people like to tell us what to do with my free time. This one just hit my last nerve today.

OMG, I am about to fall out of my chair laughing so hard.

"I hate these threads. I did not have time to sit and read four pages about this"

I'm still laughing. Why did you read them?

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 4:48am
post #55 of 69

I didn't read them, hence me saying that I didn't have time to. I read the OP and answered it.

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 5:33am
post #56 of 69

thumbs_up.gif
There!. It didn't take much of my time. (So is not lack of it.)

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 5:45am
post #57 of 69

**wants some of that popcorn**

(and a margarita since we are taking it multi-cultural) icon_wink.gif

Complete ditto on Michelle's post..

I think it boils down to this.. some people need that affirmation.. the "my work is good because someone said it was" train of thought.. and then you have the "my work is good because I know it is good" train of thought. Group A thrives on the comments and group B could care less.. I mean the comments are nice, but not necessary to them knowing the quality of their work.

Perhaps a little too much of a deep thought, but that's my view on the whole she-bang.

Me.. I am a group B'er and, while love to read the comments, I would never find it rude if someone saved my picture or even just looked at it without saying that they did. icon_confused.gif I just don't get that. You looked at my picture.. among the 1000's of images on here you chose to wait for mine to load.. that's good enough for me.

sugarplumfairycanada Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarplumfairycanada Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 6:35am
post #58 of 69

I select pictures on the home page to look at that catch my eye. Sometimes I comment, sometimes I don't. I usually look in the galleries when I need inspiration - like how to do a horse cake for example. I will select some to go into my favs and go from there. The way I look at, once I post my picture out there it's out there. People have free will to look at it, copy to favs, comment and even make the same cake as I did. If I was so hung up on my cakes I would never post them in the first place.

keljo05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keljo05 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 8:05am
post #59 of 69

as a CC 'lurker' of several months I can say that I have saved lots to my favorites. I'm not big on saying the same thing over and over again when it applies to the wonderful work done on so many cakes. I always figure that the saving to favorites was more then enough of a compliment. This week I posted my first pic of a cake I did. I was very, very proud of how this cake came out. Seeing as how I am so critical of my work, as many of us are, this was a big thing, lol. While the comments on my cactus garden have been great.. seeing it saved to so many favorites so quickly is what really made my day,ask my coworkers or husband who heard how excited I was, lol.

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 9:38am
post #60 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpanda

I am ecstatic when my pictures get viewed, and even happier when they get marked as favorites. I can pretend, just for a short time, that I am bumping elbows with some ot the major talent we have at CC!

Here, Here! I love to go into my photos just see the "viewed" numbers! It amazes me with all the talent on here as well as lots of other places on the net that I get as many views as I do! icon_rolleyes.gif I wonder if when I view my own photos....does that count toward the amount of views??? icon_confused.gif Oh well if it does! I still got a view!!! LOL!! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%