Camo Cake

Decorating By solascakes Updated 24 Aug 2008 , 1:38pm by tasteebakes

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 10:55pm
post #1 of 11

Hi, please how do i get the camo effect on cakes,thanks.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1257084

10 replies
AmyCakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyCakes2 Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 11:09pm
post #2 of 11

I've done a couple (in my pics) and all I do is use my spatula and spread each of the colors on, wait for it to "crust" and then use a paper towel to smooth.
HTH!

solascakes Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 11:25pm
post #3 of 11

thanks for you reply, but that did not look easy,how did you get the colours not to mix while icing with buttercream,I wonder if fondant will make it easier.

vkane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vkane Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 11:36pm
post #4 of 11

I've only done a camo cake once before, and I saved the camo effect for the piped border. I striped my bag with two shades of army green and two shades of brown. The cake was iced in army green, with the camo just around the edges. It came out really cool looking and the customer was very pleased. I'm guessing you could achieve a cool effect with fondant by piecing the colors together, then rolling them flat. I'll have to try it!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 11:37pm
post #5 of 11

The colors will mix but just slightly where they come together.
If you use fondant frequently, it might be easier as you would take pieces of each color, placing them together then roll it out. Again you might get some mixing of color but that only adds to the look.

AmyCakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyCakes2 Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 12:08am
post #6 of 11

It's not as hard as you think. Practice on a plate or something. That will help! icon_smile.gif

grams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grams Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 12:15am
post #7 of 11

I have a camo cake in my pictures. I used a star tip and piped in sections in one color and then changed to another color and piped in other sections etc. I left it with the star texture but if I was going to do it again I think I would smooth it with viva. I just didn't know about using viva when I made that cake.

solascakes Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 5:22am
post #8 of 11

thank you all

Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 5:34am
post #9 of 11

I just placed different sizes and shapes of fondant together and rolled it. They didn't stick together to well (for whatever reason) but I just flipped it over onto the cake and it worked out fine. Because of this the colors didn't blend, here it is...
LL

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 5:52am
post #10 of 11

I made a camo cake for my sons b-day. (he's in the Army National Guard) It was a tee shirt with dog tags. I know about the viva method, but, I don't know why I didn't think about using it after piping the colors on this cake. I loved how the dog tags turned out thumbs_up.gif but the texture of the piping I did on the shirt looks weird. icon_confused.gif Oh well my son didn't seem to notice.

tasteebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tasteebakes Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 1:38pm
post #11 of 11

I did buttercream and fondant on this one. I just plopped (highly technical cake decorating term) buttercream in different spots on the cake and the smeared it down. I don't use the viva method

and the placed camo leaves all over it, an idea I got on here somewhere.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%