New Crisco Weeping Frosting

Baking By Debbie1957 Updated 31 Jul 2010 , 2:13pm by Christine_c2c

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 4:58pm
post #61 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake_Princess

This is a question for all the people that have been having problems with their icing weeping.

When making your icing are you using pre-measured Crisco or are you having to scoop it and measure or cut it from the 1 pound brick?

I wonder why you asking this?...
Edna

Rebelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rebelady Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 5:17pm
post #62 of 75

I'm so excited to try indydebi's recipe!!! I use alpine currently but I would love to do an icing with no trans fats. I'll post back with how it goes!!! icon_biggrin.gif

sandykay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandykay Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 8:32pm
post #63 of 75

As for the question about the measuring, I use both, actally all three. At home I always make a double batch of the WBC and I'll sometimes use the small can that equals 2 cups. I've even used the sticks and measured from the the big can. I firmly believe it's the whole Trans Fat thing. I mean why can't they sell both and let the comsumer decide if they want the extra fat or not?????

PollyMaggs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PollyMaggs Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 9:27pm
post #64 of 75

I was thinking...I know that when large companies change there products, or remove a product from large chain grocery sales they sell the remaining stock to stores like Big-Lots or Dollar Stores to get rid of it...you might want to check there for the old Crisco. Its a just a thought.

Debbie1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbie1957 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 9:49pm
post #65 of 75

Guess what? I sent Crisco (Smuckers) an email outlining the problems I had been having with the shortening. They so thoughtfully sent me 2-$3 coupons for MORE Crisco..........Oh Boy. They did include a second page with some suggestions,,,,Stir by hand to reduce air bubbles, do not frost frozen cakes, use paper towel to smooth out any parts that appear to be rough or grainy. To reduce shininess and improve crusting add 1 Tablespoon of Meringue powder for every 1 cup of shortening in the recipe. How's that for some insight? I wonder if they got their information off of CC???

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 10:09pm
post #66 of 75

leannsloan,

I'm in Indiana and can get a 50# box of Sweetex special ordered through GFS (Gordon Food Service). The price has jumped $30 dollars since I bought my first box 2 years ago from $62 to $92!!! I'm a hobby baker so I just parcel it out and place in the freezer!

leannsloan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leannsloan Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 10:26pm
post #67 of 75

Thanks Christeena I have never been to the gfs store I will go check it out. Were in In do you live pm me Le'Ann

tonedna Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 11:10pm
post #68 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie1957

Guess what? I sent Crisco (Smuckers) an email outlining the problems I had been having with the shortening. They so thoughtfully sent me 2-$3 coupons for MORE Crisco..........Oh Boy. They did include a second page with some suggestions,,,,Stir by hand to reduce air bubbles, do not frost frozen cakes, use paper towel to smooth out any parts that appear to be rough or grainy. To reduce shininess and improve crusting add 1 Tablespoon of Meringue powder for every 1 cup of shortening in the recipe. How's that for some insight? I wonder if they got their information off of CC???

I know that the slow mixing does helps with the bubbles , I done this in the slowest setting of my Kitchen aid, and then finish by hand.
Edna

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 12:53pm
post #69 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Quote:

This is a question for all the people that have been having problems with their icing weeping.

When making your icing are you using pre-measured Crisco or are you having to scoop it and measure or cut it from the 1 pound brick?

Edna

I asked this because I have had the same weeping issue with regular Crisco as I mentioned before.

I bought a tub of regular Crisco and carefully measured out the amount of Crisco needed. In addition the weather was humid. I made 2 batches and had both slide right off the cake. In addition there was a big pool of oil at the base of the cake.

I finally went out and bought pre-measured sticks of Crisco and made the icing without meringue powder. The weather was still very humid. This time the icing crusted over beautifully.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 12:56pm
post #70 of 75

You could try using 1/2 new crisco and 1/2 sweetex, that's what I'm using now and LOVE it!

Jen icon_smile.gif

tonedna Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 1:18pm
post #71 of 75
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Quote:

Edna

I asked this because I have had the same weeping issue with regular Crisco as I mentioned before.

I bought a tub of regular Crisco and carefully measured out the amount of Crisco needed. In addition the weather was humid. I made 2 batches and had both slide right off the cake. In addition there was a big pool of oil at the base of the cake.

I finally went out and bought pre-measured sticks of Crisco and made the icing without meringue powder. The weather was still very humid. This time the icing crusted over beautifully.

Thats a good question...I usually use the pre-measured ones.. the one I measure is the walmart brand.

That sound like a great idea Jennifer!
Edna thumbs_up.gif

thefrostedcakencookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thefrostedcakencookie Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 6:13pm
post #72 of 75

for those of you who were asking where you could buy hi-ratio shortening there is a place called [url]www.countrykitchensa.com [/url]that sells it in a 3lb tub for $7.45. i've never bought anything from them online, but thats only because i am very lucky to have their actual storefront within a 20 minute drive. that place its awesome!!

as for the weeping and using the new crisco, i've had that problem too. horrible mess!!! i switched to the walmart brand and haven't had a problem yet. it does have a slightly different taste though. not sure why its a problem.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 7:47pm
post #73 of 75

Has anyone tried adding "Brite White" or "Angel White", to their current recipe? These products are supposed to be a base (stabilizer) that help produce a less greasy frosting.

I'm thinking of trying it out. I feel good about offering a "trans fat" product, but the crisco is just not working for me anymore. icon_cry.gif

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 12:28pm
post #74 of 75

OK--I just made another batch of Indy's recipe and it turned out fine. The only thing I did differently was that I used whole milk instead of low fat and I SIFTED my powdered sugar, which I have never done in the past YEARS of baking cakes.

Now I have 5 cakes due tomorrow and will do the same steps with the frosting that I am making today to see if my "success" continues. I will keep you posted.

Christine_c2c Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christine_c2c Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 2:13pm
post #75 of 75

Sure wish I had read this first,
Made buttercream for a wedding cake, it was sliding so bad, I had to scrap it off, added more powdered sugar and it hasn't really helped much. I have a fan on it now, the wedding is an hour away, and it will be hot, so I am expecting a disaster, but I expected it anyway due to the heat and it being an outdoor wedding/reception, bride was expecting it slidding, as she requested no color in the icing, so we did silk flowers and a beautiful ribbon.
I used crisco sticks, and real butter, I've NEVER had this problem before.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%