Wedding Cancelled 30 Min To Delivery

Decorating By pjaycakes Updated 27 Aug 2008 , 9:38pm by DEBBIE157

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 8:24pm
post #1 of 55

The attched pic is the wqedding cake (without flowers or topper. The father of the bride (my supervisor's boss) called on my way to deliver the cake and said the wedding was off.

I was shocked, and didn't even know what to say. I never had that happen. He said he didn't expect a refund, which I was glad for, but should I have offered something back? I thought it would be insensitive to say "We'll do you still want the cake, since you paid for it".

I took it to the nursing home by my house and gave it to the nurse's station. I'm sure it won't go to waste.

How do you all handle that, if and when it happens?

Thanks
LL

54 replies
susieq76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susieq76 Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 8:26pm
post #2 of 55

Wow! The cake is beautiful BTW

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 8:27pm
post #3 of 55

Oh my goodness!

Pretty cake.

The cancellation of the wedding is not your problem and no monies should be returned. You might have asked whet you should do with the cake, but it sounds like it worked itself out.

CelebrationsbyLori Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationsbyLori Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 8:29pm
post #4 of 55

Thankfully, I've never had that happen when the cake was already baked! However, I don't think it would have be insensitive to ask if they wanted it. They may have already had family, etc. staying that would have helped eat it, or they may have wanted to donate it somewhere in particular. I'm not implying you didn't do the right thing! Certainly if they had wanted it, he would have said something right then! By the way, the cake is absolutely adorable! Any bride would have been proud to have it!
Think of it as a story for your novel!
Lori

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 8:48pm
post #5 of 55

What a pretty little cakeicon_smile.gif

I agree w/the other posters. You really did the right thing. I can understand being shocked and not thinking clearly.
I know your beautiful creation is being enjoyed by many new potentcial customersicon_smile.gif

jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 10:22pm
post #6 of 55

That is really sad that the wedding was called off but you really don't owe the family any refund. It is in my contract that there will be no refund within 2 weeks of the wedding if something should happen. I tell the couple if it were me I would still take the cake if only to take my anger out on it. LOL

Of course if there was a death in the family I would refund the money minus my expenses immediately.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 10:29pm
post #7 of 55

How sad but that cake is beautiful !

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 10:47pm
post #8 of 55

Very sad indeed, but much cheaper in the long run to cancel a wedding than to pay for a divorce...

Cakebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebelle Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 10:53pm
post #9 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by jo_ann

That is really sad that the wedding was called off but you really don't owe the family any refund. It is in my contract that there will be no refund within 2 weeks of the wedding if something should happen. I tell the couple if it were me I would still take the cake if only to take my anger out on it. LOL

Of course if there was a death in the family I would refund the money minus my expenses immediately.

Ditto! The cake was gorgeous BTW!

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 11:16pm
post #10 of 55

What a very pretty cake! Of course you didn't owe a refund, but I think I would have asked him what he wanted with the cake. Just because they did pay for it.

jessfmaldonado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessfmaldonado Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 11:39pm
post #11 of 55

Hi Patty,

That cake is gorgeous!! Great Job!!! I think you did the right thing, I think next time just ask what they want to do with the cake. But it was an awkward moment and if they didn't say anything about it then it became your decision! Beautiful cake!!

Jessica thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

pjaycakes Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 11:46pm
post #12 of 55

Thank you all. I feel much better about it now. It was a very awkward phone call, especially since I know the family and the daughter does live with them. I'm sure she was traumatized enough without seeing her wedding cake sitting on the kitchen table. icon_sad.gif

Bethroze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethroze Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 12:01am
post #13 of 55

I had a friend cancel a wedding two days before. They paid for the expenses and I gave them the bottom and largest tier. $80 for a 12" round. I decorated with colors so that it looked less like a wedding cake. The other tiers where iced and sold to some of the other people in my clogging class and family members. It worked out in the end, but it is so uncomfortable when it happens. I'm sorry you had to experience this. The cake is perfect!

KateWatson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateWatson Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 12:44am
post #14 of 55

I agree that if it were me I wouldn't want to see the cake sitting there reminding me that we won't be posing for photos happily cutting it!! I think you did the right thing by taking it to the Seniors. Even if the Dad wanted it because he had paid for it, the bride would not have wanted it, in my opinion . . . great job on the cake - it's adorable! Maybe they'll reconsider and you'll get to do the cake for them again with a happy ending.

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 12:59am
post #15 of 55

You handled it perfectly.........if the man wanted the cake, he would have said so.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 1:46am
post #16 of 55

I had the same thing happen to me, but with like 6 hours notice. The groom calls in the morning saying "IS it too late to cancel the cake? How far are you on it?" Um... ALL THE WAY DONE (and I stayed up all night doing it too). They didn't say anything in the first call about what to do with it but then called back a couple of hours later wanting it disassembled and packed so they could at least take it home with them (lived in a diff town). They both showed up and she was still wearing a ring, but had been crying. Very strange. Luckily my house was super clean as we were having a party there later that day. I gave them a knife and had em take a cake cutting photo at my dining room table which the poor dear cried all the way thru.

woodthi32 Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 1:50am
post #17 of 55

OH How terrible! There must have been a tragedy in one of the families or something...........how sad. You handled it so well............

pjaycakes Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 1:59am
post #18 of 55

Wow, that was kind of creepy. It sounds like they at least got married, but just didn't get a reception.

I did think about them calling back as I left the nursing home.

The FOB did say that if they reconcile, I wouldn't be getting a call from him to do another cake (in other words, he isn't paying for another wedding).

He has had so much trouble with this daughter of his that I just felt so sorry for him today, I almost cryed while talking to him.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 2:10am
post #19 of 55

oh wow! i just HAD to click on this thread the topic sounded so amazing....so sorry this happened to you but I think you handled it very well. the cake is very beautiful btw. I think if that would've happened to me I would've wanted to eat the cake crying...but that's just me.

mrsscholler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsscholler Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 2:20am
post #20 of 55

thats all a bit strange. but great job handling a difficult situation. thumbs_up.gif

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 2:39am
post #21 of 55

I was at a wedding about 15 years ago when we were all in church waiting for the bride to come down the aisle when the Best Man came out and told everyone there would be no wedding today. The FOB then came out and said everyone on their side and her friends were invited to the hotel for some food, drink and cake. At the end he restated it was just for the friends and family of the bride. The date I was with was a cousin of the groom so it was McDonalds for us! icon_lol.gif
Beautiful cake though.

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 3:02am
post #22 of 55

well better realize now than later-although at the moment i'm sure that's not what they're thinking. i am a bit morbidly curious as to why the wedding was called off...and these are the days of our lives lol- your cake was beautiful and speaking as a worker in a retirement type home they love treats and all are appreciated (i'm constantly asked for contributions to special lunches-seeing how i get to eat too, of course i do)

mw902 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mw902 Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 4:30am
post #23 of 55

your cake was beautiful! I thinkn I would have got married just so I could've had your cake!!! No, but I would have thought about it! LOL!!! I am so sorry you had this happen to you but sounds like you handled it gracefully!

chutzpah Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 7:20am
post #24 of 55

Just have to add my 2 cents here....

Why does everyone ALWAYS assume that SHE was jilted? Maybe she called it off? Realized that he was a no-good wanker and dumped him?!!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 9:57am
post #25 of 55

i feel bad for both of them.

your cake was lovely though!

marknelliesmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknelliesmum Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 10:15am
post #26 of 55

chutzpah you crack me up icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

This is sad but I commend brides and grooms who have the balls to call it all off if they know they are making a mistake - that takes real guts especially when you consider the time, money and emotional energy that goes into planning weddings. Much better to happen now than further down the line when you hate each other and have devastated kids involved too. At least the cake was perfect - even if the rest of the day didn't turn out as planned.

pjaycakes Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 10:18am
post #27 of 55

The FOB said that the "young man" decided there would be no wedding. If I were him Iwould have had a hard time calling him a young man.

titch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
titch Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 10:46am
post #28 of 55

Oh no sorry to hear that the wedding got called off, I dont know what I would have done myself either, I probably would have asked if they still wanted the cake. But there would be no way I was giving any kind of refund.

Myself and dh have decided that if our children want a big white fancy wedding then they pay for it themselves I would be beyond peeved if I had paid for everything only for it to be cancelled and I couldnt get my money back. I dont mind helping out with costs but we're not paying for it all.

Chutzpah, I just burst out laughing when you said that, it's just like something that I would say! icon_biggrin.gif

Beautifull cake though, very good indeed.

chutzpah Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 10:53am
post #29 of 55

marksmum.... we'll be in Edinburgh 16-22 September. I know it's not really near you, but if you have errands or shopping to do in the city I'd love to meet up with you. And, of course, any and all restaurant recommendations are welcome.

woodthi32 Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 11:11am
post #30 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by chutzpah

Just have to add my 2 cents here....

Why does everyone ALWAYS assume that SHE was jilted? Maybe she called it off? Realized that he was a no-good wanker and dumped him?!!

I am always missing something! I don't see evidence of that!icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%