Florist Foil

Decorating By yeah4cake Updated 23 Aug 2008 , 3:29am by BlakesCakes

yeah4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yeah4cake Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 2:28am
post #1 of 2

Can cakes be served directly on florist foil? I just had a customer pick up a cake that is directly on pink florist foil. When I was on the Wilton website, amazingly enough I stumbled across FDA approved foil by Wilton. The customer will not eat the cake until Sunday, so if it's not safe, I need to get it back from her & redo it. I'm really worried about this, so am hoping I can get the right answer(s). Thanks all!

1 reply
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 3:29am
post #2 of 2

I don't want to make your life difficult, but my answer may do just that...sorry.

Florist foil isn't foodsafe or FDA approved for direct contact with food. In particular is the issue of the color used on the foil, as it may contain lead that can leach out if it has contact with acids or oils.

That said, I seriously doubt that there can be any real damage from a small piece of cake that's been in contact with the foil for a short time---but that's just my opinion. A more obvious worry could be that there might be a "taste" left from the foil.

It's always better to have a barrier between the cake & the florist foil. If the cake is on a board, then only the border touches the foil and that's fine (the borders usually stay behind when serving, anyway). The other solution is a piece of parchment between the cake & board.

I'm not sure what you'll want to do, given this info, but I hope that it works out OK.

HTH
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%