How Do You Do Fondant Cut Outs Like This...

Decorating By beemarie Updated 24 Aug 2008 , 12:16am by beemarie

beemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beemarie Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 2:29am
post #1 of 9

Hi, I have been seeing all kinds of fondant figure cut-outs like this beautiful cake:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1257150.html

How do you all do them? Are you tracing onto rolled out fondant and cutting it out? I am so curious as to how this is done! I would appreciate any advice and help. Thank you!

8 replies
plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 2:37am
post #2 of 9

My guess would be yes. That is what I would do. Take the components of the picture apart, and then cut them out of the color fondant or gumpaste that you want... You should be able to print a couple of pictures off of your computer so that you have all of the "pieces"

Good luck! icon_smile.gif
Pat

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 2:55am
post #3 of 9

That's how I did the logo on my "Cats" cake. I copied the logo from my daughter's drill team sweat pants 3 times, and cut around each different "layer" of color. Then I cut the different sizes out of their respective color, and stacked them.

beemarie Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 3:40am
post #4 of 9

Okay, that makes sense. Another question is when you cut it out, how do you do that, and with what? A sharp knife? Do you place your fondant in the fridge for a bit to let it get cold so it won't stretch when you cut it? Thanks ladies!

dellboi2u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dellboi2u Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 3:53am
post #5 of 9

I have used exacto knives, or just regular sharp knives too.... heck I have even used pizza cutters when I can lol. Just keep in mind to keep your knive clean if the fondant sticks to it at all. I have even rubbed I tiny bit of Crisco on my knive to keep fondant from sticking and stretching. Hope this helps!

lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 1:53pm
post #6 of 9

beemarie, you could put it in the fridge to harden but I don't like the way my fondant behaves when I do that. I would just leave it out to dry for a bit and use a thin spatula or knife to lift the pieces and place them on the cake. If they are going on a curved part of the cake don't let them dry too long. HTH

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 10:12pm
post #7 of 9

Just make sure the knife you use is very narrow for tight curves. Also, you need to Crisco the blade to keep it from sticking.

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 12:10am
post #8 of 9

I do this by copying or drawing the picture. cut it out, lay it on the fondant and cut out the base design. I then cut out whatever the next layer will be, with your piture it looks like the dress. cut it out, damped the fondant and place together. Keep going till all your pieces are together. I air dry mine and then use food coloring markers or petal dust. Several in my gallery . don't know how to put it in this note.

beemarie Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 12:16am
post #9 of 9

Thank you all for the different ideas and ways to go about doing this. I love the idea of the edible markers, too. My least favorite part of decorating is coloring all the different colors, so edible markers seem like an easy way out of that thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%