Big Competition.. Now Im Freaked Out

Decorating By pinklesley1 Updated 8 Sep 2008 , 12:45pm by chilli4me

pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 3:16am
post #1 of 11

I got an invitation to participate in a cake competition, pretty big deal for me ... especially since I was invited.... so i accepted and now I am having a heart attack... I have until Feb 09... but the cake has to be 3 feet tall...

I dont have any ideas of what to do... It is part of a fundraiser to benifit St Judes so that makes it even more special ...

Anyone have any ideas or words of encouragement for this decorator who is shivering in her pants...

10 replies
pinklesley1 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 3:36am
post #2 of 11

anyone ... please... any ideas or words of encouragement would be of great help

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 3:51am
post #3 of 11

we do alot of charity work for st judes...i adore them!!

research research research. check out their website, and just start going in a direction. if you're like me, that path will lead to even cooler paths, which will end up with a very unique design. i hardly ever, if ever, actually end up with the design that i started with in my head.

obviously, the first thought is children. maybe you could do a huge big stach of toys...kinda like the hatbox type cake, where you stack cakes at various angles, kinda haphhazardly. a doll, a bear, a bat/ball/and glove...maybe the base could be a toybox with these things spilling out. the point would be that these kids can actually have a chance to be kids again, with the help of st judes.

check out this link..go to the bottom and click to play this song...it gets me choked up everytime i hear it...it's absolutely incredible, and may give you some inspiration. good luck.

starla

edited to actually add the link this time!! duh!!

http://www.musicremedy.com/r/Randy_Owen/videos/Braid_My_Hair-20546.html

mixinvixen Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 3:56am
post #4 of 11

another idea..make a tiered cake with various edible images around the sides of kids drawings...i know you should be able to find some on the st jude website, or even call the hospital, explain what you're doing, and i bet any little kid would jump at a chance to have their artwork on a cake!! i've seen and heard about several of the kids drawing their versions of "cancer" and them fighting it. it gets the point across, and brings a smile to people's face at the sheer innocence of this child dealing with something so much larger than themselves.

or you could make the cake with that theme, of something like a superhero or such killing a big blob of cancer...you could make it humorous, inspirational, and funny at the same time, much like a childs drawing.

pinklesley1 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 3:57am
post #5 of 11

first you made my crack up... add the link DUH...
and then i cried...

i dont know if to do a wedding cake style cake.. but now you got me thinking..

thank you.. i dont know if the kids will be there.. i have to ask the girl that is organizing everything...

but I LOVE LOVE LOVE your idea of the toy box!

mixinvixen Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 4:16am
post #6 of 11

what about if out in front of the toybox, you made a small gumpaste donation box with edible images of the logo and stuff, maybe even some money...

jbart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jbart Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 2:14pm
post #7 of 11

I like the toy box idea too!

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 4:11pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinklesley1

I got an invitation to participate in a cake competition, pretty big deal for me ... especially since I was invited.... so i accepted and now I am having a heart attack... I have until Feb 09... but the cake has to be 3 feet tall...

I dont have any ideas of what to do... It is part of a fundraiser to benifit St Judes so that makes it even more special ...

Anyone have any ideas or words of encouragement for this decorator who is shivering in her pants...

Is this going to be a food network challenge?

joshalow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joshalow Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 11:01pm
post #9 of 11

Is this ccompetition in the Miami/Dade/Broward area? Is it open to anyone?

BabyBear3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyBear3 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 11:17pm
post #10 of 11

I just finished my first competition and it was a nervous wreck. Our cake also had to be 3 feet tall. the best advice I can give you is don't try to go too crazy with your design. Simplicity is going to help you in the long run.

What is your "theme" if you have one? Ours had a specific theme that we had to go along with.

Plan, plan, plan, plan. and PRACTICE!!!!!!!!!!!!

chilli4me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilli4me Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 12:45pm
post #11 of 11

Just won my first compitition, Scandinavian Cake Show 2008 and it was such a great fun! I really didn´t believe i would win and i was so nervous the weeks before the competition. Hope everything goes well for you. It´s not that bad once you get there and the cake is in place, but i don´t think you can do anything aganst competition-nervs ;o)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%