Americolor And Black Fondant

Decorating By Heatherly30 Updated 21 Aug 2008 , 12:02pm by playingwithsugar

Heatherly30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heatherly30 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 8

I don't use fondant too often, but I am doing a cake that needs a few different colors of fondant(Batman cake). To save money, I would prefer to buy white Satin Ice and color it with the colors I need. I have read that Americolor is the best, and I am wondering if it will give me a true black color. How much will I have to use? A few drops, a whole bottle, multiple bottles? I just need to make sure I get enough.

7 replies
FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 6:55pm
post #2 of 8

I guess it depends on how many ounces of fondant you need. I would buy at least 2 bottles. It is a true black, and takes less than using the wilton black. But since you are starting with white and not chocolate or brown, it will take at least a whole bottle if you are making enough to cover a 10 inch round cake. Maybe even two.

Maybe someone else that has started with white can give you a better answer.

Heatherly30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heatherly30 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 7:36pm
post #3 of 8

It will be a 12 inch round cake, and the "Batman" will be the only black fondant on the cake. So probably an 8-9 inch batman. Will 1 bottle do?

cakeladyem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyem Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 7:55pm
post #4 of 8

With the super black I think 1 bottle will probably be enough, but one more just in case wouldn't hurt. With me I figure I will always use it eventually, even if not this time, and its just a couple dollars for the small bottle. When I have used it I don't think it has been more than one of the small bottles worth, but I have the big jumbo bottle, probably 16-20 oz., so it is hard to tell for sure how much I used.

FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 8:35pm
post #5 of 8

Then I think 1 bottle will do fine. But like cakeladyem stated, I buy 2 just in case of spills, errors etc.

I love it. It is a squeeze bottle and so much easier to deal with than the Wilton.

lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 11:47pm
post #6 of 8

If you need a small amount of black and can use three other skin colours Wilton has a box of four small packets that included black.
LL

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 12:17am
post #7 of 8

I color my white fondant all the time with Americolor black and it really doesn't take as much as you think!! buy 2 bottles just in case but I think you will only need 1.Also you may want to use latex gloves or food grade gloves as it stains you hands quite bad with dark purple as that is the base for black.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 12:02pm
post #8 of 8

As mentioned above, Americolor comes in a variety of sizes. I know there is a 4.5 oz size, which might be better for you.

Also, if you need that much rolled fondant, go to the SatinIce website contact page, call them, and ask them how much it would cost to have a case (2-20 lb buckets) of white sent directly to your location. The women who work in the office there are great to deal with, and will help you all they can.

They only sell by the case. They do not take online orders, and your first order is shipped COD, so there's a slightly higher charge, but if you're buying retail, it may still be less expensive than buying it locally or having it shipped from another retailer.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%