Covering A Square Cake With Fondant

Decorating By Leahrose Updated 18 Aug 2008 , 10:43pm by lorijom

Leahrose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leahrose Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 10:18pm
post #1 of 6

have coverd round cakes with fondant will minimum trouble square cakes are a differnt stroy they were very hard and only looked ok...please someone tell me the secret!!!! thanks

5 replies
lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 10:24pm
post #2 of 6

If you can afford it you should buy Sugarshack's DVD "Flawless Fondant". She takes you step by step through round and square cakes. I haven't tried her method on square cakes yet, so I can't advise. Before I just worked one side at a time- lifting the fondant out and smoothing down and then playing with the corners.

You could practice on a cake dummy or wooden block. And if you can, buy the DVD! thumbs_up.gif

buffim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buffim Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 10:37pm
post #3 of 6

the best recommendation is practice! If you can get a hold of a styrofoam square, practice on that a lot...it's not quite the same as a cake, but it will really help.

I think what we were taught in a class I took was to do all of the corners first. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong as I moved a few months ago and we are in a temporary living arrangement so I can't access my cake stuff for a while...it's been 4 months since my last cake...

Patience is also very helpful!

minorfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minorfan Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 10:38pm
post #4 of 6

1. make sure the fondant is thick enough

2. do the corners first

3. work the fondant to the flat surface around the cake then cut around the bottom leaving 1/2 inch then lift the cake up and press the fondant to the sides and bottom edge with the fondant smoother.

If I try to worry about the bottom edge before I get it all on the top and corners then it folds up and over it self. I put the cake on a flat surface and work the fondant down to that flat surface. It works so much easier than having it fall off a turntable and stretch and pull. It makes the bottom so much better for me.

Kazoot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kazoot Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 10:41pm
post #5 of 6

I have never tried, but have to next month icon_eek.gif . I found this link.....HTH

lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 10:43pm
post #6 of 6

Here's aine2's video:

" rel="nofollow">

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%