Black Fondant...

Decorating By honeybearcreek Updated 19 Aug 2008 , 11:03am by HannahLass

honeybearcreek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeybearcreek Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 9:16pm
post #1 of 4

How do I make black fondant? I have some yummy chocolate Satin Ice on hand. Do I just add black coloring to it like adding black to chocolate frosting to make it blacker/darker?

I'm planning to make a "back to school" cake for my coworkers at the local elementary school. I need black fondant for the blackboard of course. Now that I think about, our "blackboards" are actually green! We don't even use them other than for magnetic purposes anymore thanks to the technology of Smartboards.

Thanks in advance.

Hugs,
Diana in VA

3 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 9:35pm
post #2 of 4

Well, generally you need to buy black SatinIce. By the time you get enough color into the fondant to make it black, you have completely changed the texture of the fondant. You will probably have to knead in cornstarch or ps. You might do just as well by painting the blackboard. If you use powdered black color then you will not have the texture chnge issue that you will have using gel color.

honeybearcreek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeybearcreek Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 10:53am
post #3 of 4

I guess I'd be adding A LOT of black coloring, huh? Sure glad I asked because I would've never thought about purchasing or painting it. I think I'm gonna paint! Thanks so much for your advice.

Hugs,
Diana in VA

HannahLass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HannahLass Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 11:03am
post #4 of 4

Hi Diana,
It is sooo much easier to buy or paint it (i've done both now) tried to tint icing black and after a whole tub of black icing it was still grey!!! It did however manage to dye my hands black and after that all of me. I painted a plaque with the bacl and that worked perfectly and have also bought it sooo much easier. I would reccomend either. If you hav the black paint it and just leave it to dry I left mine overnight.
Han X

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%