Anyone From Buffalo, Ny? Sightseeing Questionsâ¦

Lounge By moreCakePlz Updated 9 Sep 2008 , 4:46pm by TooMuchCake

moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 2:29pm
post #1 of 9

Iâm taking my Mom (75 years old) to NYC the first week in November and she wants to make a side trip to Buffalo to visit an old boyfriend. Poor old man is in a nursing home and he keeps phoning my Mom telling her that he wants to see her again before he dies icon_sad.gif

So what is the weather like in Buffalo around the late October early November time frame? Is there snow yet? If Iâm going to be in Buffalo I would like to visit The Falls, but are the attractions still open in late October? And even if they are open, is it too cold and icy to visit? Note: Iâm a southern girl who bundles up if the temperature drops below 60.

Thanks for the info.

Carol

8 replies
Marksgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marksgirl Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 3:59pm
post #2 of 9

I was born in Syracuse, NY..but spent alot of time in Buffalo. That is quite the side trip.

The weather..well you might see snow...you might not. If anything below 60 is cold. I say pack extra clothes. The nights might get down to 40 or so. All I am saying is bring a coat and warm clothes. Cause you never know what the weather is going to bring. Have a safe trip.

Everything at the Falls is open year around (the last time I knew). Go to the Canandian side, much nicer then the American side. If you do this then the last time I knew you needed a passport.

Have a great and safe time.

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 4:56pm
post #3 of 9

Im from buffalo and the whether is a lot like nyc. There is alot of rain sometimes. We often get snow in october so pack a few heavy items. The falls really dont freeze but the mist can be cold so pack a rain coat and a rain hat. Maybe some boots in case it snows. anymore questions let me know

joshalow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joshalow Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 10:35pm
post #4 of 9

I used to live in Rochester, NY, and have a sister in Buffalo. I have to agree with Marksgirl- go over to the Canadian side. It is a whole lot nicer than the American side of the Falls, which unfortunately has been "abandoned" in the past few years. There is Lundy's Lane there, with lots of American restaurants, etc. If you have time, you may want to go to Niagara on the Lake, a quaint little village nearby. The passport is really for returning to the U.S. (although, has that law gone into effect completely?) Your driver's license or birth certificate is enough for the Canadian side.
There are things to do such as the Maid of the Mist, and going in behind the Falls. If you walk next to the Falls, you definitely will get wet with the mist, and will want something warm to wear.
The Falls are so beautiful- any time of the year! Have fun!

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 4:09pm
post #5 of 9

you don't need a passport to get back and forth to the u.s. yet from Canada. you only need a drivers license and a birth certificate. The passport law does not go in effect until next spring, and even then if you only travel by land from the u.s. to Canada you can get away with a passport card instead of a full passport. Much cheaper for those just using Canada to get through.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 10:52pm
post #6 of 9

I'm interested in the story behind the old boyfriend contacting the mom. Was it out of the blue, or did they keep in touch?

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 2:08am
post #7 of 9

My DH is from Rochester originally. He said to tell you that it's over 400 miles from Buffalo to New York City, so that really is one heck of a "side trip". He agrees about seeing the Falls from the Canadian side. Don't forget your passport. We parked on the US side and walked over the bridge to save the possibility of having the car inspected. He says there's a very cool wax museum on the Canadian side and Clifton Hill is the main tourist drag. He says to pick up some Molson XXX for him! thumbs_up.gif
As for Buffalo itself, he says there's just not a whole lot there he can think of (I'm sure you could get a lot of info online though). The Anchor Bar is where buffalo wings originated.

Interesting story about the old boyfriend!

Jodie

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 2:36am
post #8 of 9

any good cake supply shops in the area?

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 4:46pm
post #9 of 9

I haven't been to Buffalo in many years, not since before my husband's grandparents who lived there passed away. I agree with others who said to go to the Canadian side of the Falls, and if you can, the Maid of the Mist is really cool. I always liked going to the Hershell Carousel Museum in Tonawanda and riding the antique carousel there.

Deanna

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%