Pricing A 6"

Business By Tellis12 Updated 20 Aug 2008 , 3:42pm by amoos

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 2:20pm
post #1 of 16

I know that there have been hundreds of pricing threads and I apologize for adding to them. I'm planning on taking some cakes and cookies to a farmers market this weekend and along with individual cupcakes, I was going to make a few 6" cakes to sell. Now I price my buttercream at $1.75 a serving and according to Earlene's serving chart a 6" will serve 8. Do you think it is ok if I sell the cakes for $20 each, even though that's more than I'd normally charge per serving? I don't feel that it's really worth my work if I get less than $20 for all the work I put in. I hope this question makes sense. Thanks a lot!

15 replies
rdiesing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rdiesing Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 2:33pm
post #2 of 16

$20 doesn't sound too outrageous. If anything, you're shorting yourself. There are cake places in my area that charge $60 for a 6in fondant covered cake!

holoien003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holoien003 Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 3:44pm
post #3 of 16

I agree....that kind of cake would go for a lot more where i'm at.....but then again the cost of living is outrageous here!

pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 4:00pm
post #4 of 16

i charge $36 (starting price)... i usually ge orders for 6 inch cakes but by the time they decorate them they end up bing more than $50...

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 4:02pm
post #5 of 16

I agree make it worth your time. I think if the cakes are decorated all pretty and what not they tend to sell themselves. Show them something they can't find in WM. I find that most people don't even know that other types of cakes and designs exist until I show them samples. If nothing else you'll get request for your business cards and can get future sales.

Presentation it's everything.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 4:22pm
post #6 of 16

Mine start at $45.00. They serve 10 by my chart.. so $4.50x10 and there you go.

You have to think too that with a 6" you have some wasted batter.. you still had to make that batter.. so you need to make sure you cover the ingredients and your time.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 4:23pm
post #7 of 16

I also wanted to say that I have a $90 min order so most people don't just order a 6". I was speaking of when it's ordered as part of a bigger cake before. icon_smile.gif

pinklesley1 Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 4:24pm
post #8 of 16

i agree jkalman, i think as long as you cover your cost and then your time, you could sell it and make a good profit...

i never hav batter left over, bc i cut my recipie in half and it is exactly what i need for a 6...

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 4:25pm
post #9 of 16

How much does it cost to make? How much is booth rental, if any? What does your competition charge for a similar cake? How does that price fit with the target audience? Will there be any other baked goods you have to comepete against for market share?

Mike

pinklesley1 Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 4:25pm
post #10 of 16

jkalman.. i dont have a minimum order, i like making small cakes bc it gives me a chance to be super creative and it is small and tiny and adorable!!!

Tellis12 Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 5:27pm
post #11 of 16

Wow, I can't tell you how much I appreciate all of these responses!

I'm just trying to get my business started so I know I'm pricing a bit lower than others. I don't normally do just a 6" because it's not worth my time, but since I'm baking a lot of things to take with me, I thought I'd take a couple of smaller cakes just in case there is someone who wants one. Just to get my name out, kind of thing. I just wanted to know if made enough sense, even though it doesn't fit with my per serving charge.
When I've been to this particular farmers market, there have been people selling breads and some drop cookies, but nothing like decorated cakes and cookies.

holoien003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holoien003 Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 6:40pm
post #12 of 16

I think you are on the right track...there's a few cupcakeries who sell at farmers markets here in Edmonton (Canada) and they are normally sold out fast. You will do great!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 8:33pm
post #13 of 16

I would ask what kind of farmers' market is it? Most farmers markets around here are the garage-sale price range, so $20 for a 6" cake (when you can get a cake at sam's that size for $6-$7) wouldn't go over.

If it's a higher class market, the wine-n-cheese crowd, then you'll probably be ok

Tellis12 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 2:15pm
post #14 of 16

It's "the" farmers market around here. It's located down town and actually has cheese and wine shops!

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 3:21pm
post #15 of 16

$20-$25 is what I charge depending on the flavors.

amoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amoos Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 3:42pm
post #16 of 16

I charge 15 Euro for a 6in, but that doesn't include anything "special" just plain flavors and bc filling and icing.....anything extra COSTS extra icon_smile.gif Sadly, I'm learning these lessons the hard way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%