How Can I Color My Mmf So It Can Look Like Wood?

Decorating By Frankyola Updated 19 Aug 2008 , 3:35am by Frankyola

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 9:48pm
post #1 of 14

Hi ! I have to make a pirate ship cake and I would like to carve it and cover it with fondant like wood., Can somebody tell me how can I color my fondant to give it the wood efect? It will be my first and the wood it is giving me hard time.

Thank You all in advance!!!! icon_redface.gif
Frankyia ([email protected]

13 replies
xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 10:44pm
post #2 of 14

How about painting the wood effect after you have applied it?

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 10:57pm
post #3 of 14

OOh, that sounds like artistic talent is required! I've wondered about this for a long time, but there's no way I could actually paint it...

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 11:00pm
post #4 of 14

I've heard slightly mixing two different colors of fondant, then rolling it out can give it that marbled effect that looks like wood.

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 11:04pm
post #5 of 14

They actually discussed that on Ace of Cakes once. What you do to paint it onto the cake is just paint your brown on, and when it's starting to dry, drag your brush through it the way you want the grain to be, and it looks like wood. All you need that way is a reasonably steady hand, not the ability to paint tiny detail.

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 11:07pm
post #6 of 14

The painting like that is actually pretty easy and it looks really good! Good luck! icon_lol.gif

lizamlin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizamlin Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 11:12pm
post #7 of 14

Also - if you'll be doing a lot: there is a special tool (go to your big paint store-type places and describe your needs) that is odd looking, but works *very* well to create amazng wood grain. I had one a while back - maybe $4 to buy... good luck!

Lady_Phoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 11:18pm
post #8 of 14

When I needed a wood look for a bowling alley cake, I made fondant in 2 shades of brown and black. Roll each into a rope of aprox. the same size. Twist the ropes together. Fold in half, then roll into a log again. Keep folding and rolling until you have the look you want. I added a foul line and lane markers with a toothpick and gel color diluted in a tiny amount of vanilla vodka. HTH

loucarp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loucarp Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 11:42pm
post #9 of 14

I go with painting it after you apply the wood to the cake. What I do is add the "white" wood planks to the cake, make the lines using the side of the palette knife; then paint with brown diluted in vodka. It starts out shiney but then dries nicely. I also poke holes where nails would be and then dab a little black for nails. You can check oput the ark's in my photos to see what it looks like. Good Luck!!!

MORSELSBYMARK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MORSELSBYMARK Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 11:53pm
post #10 of 14

There is a wood "floor" impression mat available. I always paint my food with brown airbrush color, using a very dry brush

xstitcher Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 4:52am
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by loucarp

I go with painting it after you apply the wood to the cake. What I do is add the "white" wood planks to the cake, make the lines using the side of the palette knife; then paint with brown diluted in vodka. It starts out shiney but then dries nicely. I also poke holes where nails would be and then dab a little black for nails. You can check oput the ark's in my photos to see what it looks like. Good Luck!!!

I love the ark!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

I think one of these days when I'm a little better at this I'll have to ask you how to go about doing one!

loucarp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loucarp Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 6:33pm
post #12 of 14

No problem. I'd be happy to help. The ark is actually easy to do..

xstitcher Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 11:24pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by loucarp

No problem. I'd be happy to help. The ark is actually easy to do..

Thanks!!! I'll have to take you up on your offer once I finish Course 3!

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 3:35am
post #14 of 14

Thak You so much ladys for all your help, I will try my best and I'll post a picture so you guys can give me your opinion. icon_smile.gif

Tank You again
Frankyia ([email protected])

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%