Why Did My Fondant Fade?

Decorating By shannonlovebug Updated 17 Aug 2008 , 2:59am by Rose_N_Crantz

shannonlovebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannonlovebug Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 4:19pm
post #1 of 7

My pink fondant bow, roses, and cake base have faded to almost white and my lavender roses have faded to pale blue. Why did this happen? I'm new at this and I thought I read somewhere that fondant would get darker as it dried. Other than the fading they turned out great. What do I do in the future to prevent this from happening again and is there a way I can bring back the color for this one?
Thanks!!

6 replies
rvercher23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rvercher23 Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 4:30pm
post #2 of 7

To fix the color, you might try mixing color with clear vanilla, or lemon extract, or vodka and paint the color back on there. I heard that if you add glycerin to your colors when you mix it makes them more vibrant.

Lorendabug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorendabug Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 4:32pm
post #3 of 7

Fondant will fade when exposed to light. Colored buttercream will darken a bit when it has sat a bit.

As far as bringing the color back you could airbrush it or brush it with some petal dust or luster dust to get some color onto it again.

I hope it works out for you!

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 4:37pm
post #4 of 7

I had a cake due before and forgot this. I made the little guy a bright red bowtie and rose for his tux. When I got there, it was a nice shade of pink. To make it funnier, the guest of honor and almost the entire guest list were gay. They thought I did it on purpose! They also still ask for a cake every year!

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 1:54am
post #5 of 7

Anything with red dye in it will fade - red, pink, fuchsia, purple. After you make your pieces, be sure to keep them out of sunlight as long as possible. I close all my shades and keep them in a darkened room. I've heard fluourescent lights will also fade reds.

sandykay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandykay Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 2:48am
post #6 of 7

How are you mixing the color into the fondant? Using a pre-colored fondant, ie. the small boxes of colored fondant by Wilton will help maintain the color better than using icing colors. However you really do have to watch the flourescent lights, they suck the color out.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 2:59am
post #7 of 7

Purple icing is the bane of my existence. I hate it when someone asks for purple on their cake/cupcakes because more often then not, the final product isn't what they were expecting, because of the fading. However, I have heard that some cake supply companies sell "no fade" purple and pink dyes.

Another easy way to avoid this is to simply cover the cake so no light can reach it until it's served. I just tape some paper over any windows that are in the cake box and the purples stay purple!

And the snozberries taste like snozberries!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%