Friday Night Cake Club

Decorating By leah_s Updated 18 Aug 2008 , 5:53pm by cakequeen50

Briniga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briniga Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 7:05am
post #31 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjk

Duff is going to be at the America's Best Food Show in LA. He will be there with Geoff and Mary Alice.

http://www.abfevents.com/index.php

Make sure you take lots of pics & post them!!!! My dream is to meet Duff & the crew & I would love to be able to be at a food show!! Have fun, I know you will thumbs_up.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 7:13am
post #32 of 62

Joining the party late! LOL Just finished carving a crumb coating a pillow cake--my last cake for the night--it's in the fridge chilling and waiting for fondant and dazzle! lol

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 7:19am
post #33 of 62

FINALLY finishes carving and filling everybody. Time to buttercream all. And may I say.... I HATE YOU BARNEY. I (expletive deleted) HATE YOU. And who orders a tiramisu Barney for a 2yo anyway??

PinkZiab Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 7:22am
post #34 of 62

I didn't know kids even still liked Barney anymore?!? My daughter wasn't allowed to watch him because, well, I couldn't stand the bastard! lol

micnmax2003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
micnmax2003 Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 7:30am
post #35 of 62

PinkZiab...I'm w/ u: No barney allowed here! Same w/ the annoying Spongebob

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 8:03am
post #36 of 62

ick... Sooooo ditto on the Spongebob! I caved on Barney, though. It's hard when your youngest screams "BARNEY, BARNEY!" and jumps and down as your quickly trying to skip that channel.

I am RE-baking the bottom tier to DH's 40th birthday cake. The first attempt was apple filling on top of white-chocolate cheesecake; while driving from mom's back home the top torte slipped off and the rest of the cake was so badly damaged there was no fixing it. It was the base of a huge topsy-turvy! icon_mad.gif

I've been trying to pull off a surprise party so the cake was last on my list, and now I only have the middle tier complete, getting ready to finish carving/filling/crumb-coating the top tier, and the bottom tier is still in the oven (10"11"12" for topsy)....

This will be an all-nighter icon_cry.gif

mommy_of_3_DDs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 8:04am
post #37 of 62

Anyone still up? I just finished the baby show cake that I did the gumpaste animals for last friday... I can't friggin beleive it is 4:04 AM...
brb with pics

MacsMom Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 8:07am
post #38 of 62

It's 1:07 here in CA -- I don't think I'll even make it to bed tonight.

mommy_of_3_DDs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 8:11am
post #39 of 62

Ok here are the pics...
Whole cake:
Close up of each cake:

Amy729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy729 Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 8:26am
post #40 of 62

Oh yea. I am still up. icon_sad.gif

It is 4:25 in the morning and I am wondering if I will get any sleep before I have to deliver these cakes in the morning.

sadiepix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadiepix Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 8:34am
post #41 of 62

Very cute alphabet cubes!

Sorry to hear of everyone's disasters and late nights.
Hope things improve for all and you get some rest!

Time for me to give in...
Luck to all.

MacsMom Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 8:38am
post #42 of 62

Great job on the baby blocks!

I just took the cake out of the oven... into the freezer for a quick cool down so I can carve and the fill the beast icon_razz.gif

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 8:59am
post #43 of 62

Glad (sorry) to see I am not the only one awake. I have (re) discovered that I HATE wooden dowels! they bite BIG TIME!!!

KoryAK Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 9:37am
post #44 of 62

I'm still up! (only 1:35 here tho). Well, at least Barney is buttercreamed, that was the hardest part. Had to stop and make more buttercream so I still have the big ol bracelet and cowboy hat to cover then I can start with fondant. Blocks look great!

KoryAK Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 9:42am
post #45 of 62

And diamonds... you need to get some drinking straws! (for dowels) you'll never go back.

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 9:50am
post #46 of 62

I am envious Kory! It's 10 til 5 a.m. here. I made an 8, 10, n 12" square stacked tier. It is the offset kind. It looks wonky and I am scared to DEATH that it is going to collapse. I SO cannot afford that! I hope it is just that I am not used to seeing the offset thing. My squares don't look even remotely square either! Maybe I should catch some zz's

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 11:55am
post #47 of 62

Diamonds you gotta switch to SPS.

leah_s Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 11:56am
post #48 of 62

I kept getting these CC is down for maintenance messages last night, so I went to bed. I had some red frosting that needed to sit for the color to develop. Nice talking to everybody!!

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 12:07pm
post #49 of 62

Leah you use sps on all your tier cakes instead of straws or dowel? And I feel for you guys who where up so late but you got to love what we do. icon_smile.gif

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 12:26pm
post #50 of 62

Looks like the cake club is staying over for Sat AM! I did a road of life cake yesterday that would never end...still have to add the details. Then a couple of 2 tiers, a BD and baby shower. Then I'll be done.

susan

PinkZiab Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 12:30pm
post #51 of 62

I napped for a while then got up @6 to finish my cake... it's done and just needs to be stacked.

I must confess, I actually like spongebob lol

KoryAK Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 1:45pm
post #52 of 62

Mmmmm naps.... maybe later. 5:44 here. Got the cowboy hat, 3 tier bday, and mini done. 2 generic bday, Barney (damn you), and 2 weddings to go.

MacsMom Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 1:57pm
post #53 of 62

Ugh. I threw in the towel last night at 2:15am when I realized I still had to carve and fill the 10"11"12" topsy base and cover the 3 tiers in MMF--let alone decorate!

I feel horrible, but it looks like my DH is getting his favaorite French Apple Pie from Marie Calendars. I have to brain-storm with my mom now to figure out what to do for 100 guests!!

It's a Fiesta and very laid-back, I'm actually thinking of making a couple of those desserts with angel food cake and pudding among a variety of pies....

I feel so terrible for letting down my DH on his 40th, but we just got back from vacation last Sunday and the dummy came home early from work all week for some reason, so there was just just no way I could manage to do all the party shopping and cake baking without him knowing. icon_cry.gif

leah_s Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 1:58pm
post #54 of 62

SugarCheryl,
YES, SPS on all tiered cakes. I wouldn't dream of using anything else.

sugarcheryl Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 2:01pm
post #55 of 62

Wow I never thought about doing that. It would make your job easier but do you get them back from the customer or just add it into the cost of the cake price?

leah_s Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 2:06pm
post #56 of 62

I add a $20 equipment fee to tiered cakes. That covers it. Of course if the cake is ginormous, the fee might be $30. Remember this isn't SFS. SPS is cheap to purchase. I tell customers, and I do mostly wedding cakes, that "without the equipment your cake will fall down." Never an objection!

sugarcheryl Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 2:22pm
post #57 of 62

thanks Leah I think I'm going to try it out.

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 2:56pm
post #58 of 62

Well, it has held up so far. I am going to look into the sps. I seriously was stressing. I'll post the pic later today.

KoryAK Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 1:25am
post #59 of 62

aaand I'm done icon_smile.gif About to leave for deliveries, 5:25pm here.

cakequeen50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen50 Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 12:37am
post #60 of 62

OK, I know it is Sunday night, it took me this long to recouperate! I got the 4 -four tiered wedding cakes and the helicopter groom's cake done and delivered. Up til 5:30 am saturday morning, slept 4 1/2 hours then up at 10 to get ready for the deliveries. Finished up at 7pm. Then DH and I feasted on chinese for dinner. I didn't need that much food but it sure did comfort me after that LONG day. I have another 4 wedding cake weekend in 2 weeks.... I suppose it will be another friday night with the cake club....I will actually get to the computer that night and join you all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%