Friday Night Cake Club

Decorating By leah_s Updated 18 Aug 2008 , 5:53pm by cakequeen50

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 3:25am
post #1 of 62

is called to order. Who's up?

At 10:30 I finished my one wedding cake for the weekend. I also have a BIG wedding show this Sunday, so I've also been working on that. So why am I still up? After I finished the cake, iced in vanilla bc, I did a final check on the order and discovered it was supposed to be iced in chocolate bc.

Yep, scrape down time.

61 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 3:34am
post #2 of 62

Ouch! Hate it when that happens! I have 2 weddings, 1 kitchen cake, 3 tier TT bday, cowboy hat, 3d barney (can you believe I have escaped making him until now??), livestrong jelly bracelet, and a couple of standard bday cakes.

And wouldn't you just know that I double checked the TT order and its a regular straight cake? Damn now I'll have to check my baking. Me n Leah in the doh club.

leah_s Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 3:39am
post #3 of 62

Gosh, are you close to done?

I've got 2 tiers re-iced, but will still have to decorate.

I've got another scrape down also. Not my night.

I remember my first few days of my internship in culinary school at the Bakery. I was put on scrape down duty. Deja vu.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 3:43am
post #4 of 62

Nope barely started icon_smile.gif. Icing is made and cakes are baked (cept for the possible screw up, but I think I have more of those sizes in the freezer). Its only 7:43pm here tho. Fridays are usually all-nighters icon_smile.gif

Wjk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wjk Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 3:51am
post #5 of 62

No cakes here tonight, but I am packing. I'm getting ready to fly to CA to meet up with 4 other CCer's. Going to see Duff icon_smile.gif

I'm so excited!!!!

leah_s Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 3:54am
post #6 of 62

What's Duff doing in CA? My DD's in CA right now attending a wedding.

Wjk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wjk Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 3:55am
post #7 of 62

Duff is going to be at the America's Best Food Show in LA. He will be there with Geoff and Mary Alice.

http://www.abfevents.com/index.php

leah_s Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 4:12am
post #8 of 62

Very cool!!

ATCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ATCakes Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 4:22am
post #9 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjk

Duff is going to be at the America's Best Food Show in LA. He will be there with Geoff and Mary Alice.

http://www.abfevents.com/index.php

Very cool and expensive. $10 dollars to get in the show and the only seats left to see them are $75 or the meet and greet for $125!! For that amount I want a class!! I am going to the food show tomorrow to watch the cake contest and see what else is going on.

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 4:27am
post #10 of 62

I'm here just got home from a baseball game I'll be making cookies Sunday NFSC decorated for some co-workers this week no cakes this weekend I'll also make homemade tamales tomorrow.

Molly

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 4:28am
post #11 of 62

I've never joined this thread before.
I just finished up 3 cakes-1 2-tiered and the other 2 were 3-tiers. I don't have any help-did it all alone and I am so tired, I can't wait to get these suckers delivered tomorrow!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 4:35am
post #12 of 62

No cakes for me this weekend. So, tonight, I am making gumpaste flowers...roses, pansies, gerberas, hydrangeas...along with attempting some miniature Anne Geddes styled bug babies(to go with some of the flowers for a baby shower cupcake order next weekend. The rest of the roses will be for three anniversary cakes the following 3 weeks), some accent pieces for teacher cakes for BTS in two weeks(figure it might be nice after their first full week, eh?)...actually, this will probably take me all weekend and then some...I should take this time to rest, I know but I truly hate rushing at the last minute. Right now, it's break time and I am going outside to smoke!

leah_s Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 4:36am
post #13 of 62

Summer, all the Friday night CCers are welcome on this thread. It's nice to have someone on the other side of the screen at this time of night.

Molly, I love homemade tamales. Green chilie for me please. I'll be looking for a package in the mail. LOL.

CambriasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CambriasCakes Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 5:11am
post #14 of 62

My first time joining the club!!

I had 3 hours to decorate a birthday cake for my niece this evening. It came out pretty cute but my BC was a little wonky so I wasn't too pleased with the smoothness of it. I'm going to blame that (and my wild hair!) on the humidity we're experiencing.

I have an order for 3 trays of brownies and 4 dozen cookies to be picked up tomorrow afternoon. I went ahead and made 2 trays of brownies tonight and ended up burning the edges of one! Arggg...every time I try to save myself some time I always ended up jacking everything up somehow! I think I work best under pressure.

Also assembled all the dry ingredients for the cookies tomorrow....let's see if I got that right!!

My feet hurt......

bafishr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bafishr Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 5:19am
post #15 of 62

My first time also!!

Leah's you're right it's nice to have someone on the other side of the screen this time of night. I just finished two cakes, one for BIL and one for nephew. Darn Olympics kept delaying me icon_rolleyes.gif

leah_s Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 5:22am
post #16 of 62

Cambria,
Do you stand on a mat? Do you wear Dansko clogs or similar? Do you wear chef socks? Only things that save me on these long days/nights.

Welcome bafishr!

bafishr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bafishr Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 5:27am
post #17 of 62

Thanks, Leahs. Where do you get chef socks?

leah_s Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 5:28am
post #18 of 62

OK, first 3 tier is re-done in the chocolate bc. It was prettier in the white bc with dark red fondant motifs. Oh well. It's not my wedding. Now to make a small batch of sugar free icing and scrape down that cake.

Shannie13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannie13 Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 5:44am
post #19 of 62

Leahs,
Could you possibly tell me where you got your recipe for sugarfree icing. I have been looking for one for over a year as my mother-in-law is diabetic but loves cake. I would love to be able to make something safer to eat rather than just the dangerous buttercream that we are all so fond of.
Much thanks for any info!!!
Shannie

Amy729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy729 Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 5:46am
post #20 of 62

Is the club meeting still going? icon_smile.gif

Cause it looks like I still have too many hours to go tonight.

Can anyone tell me how to get the General Lee orange from the Dukes of Hazard?

I have been working on this d**n bc and all I have is pumpkin orange. Too much work for a little sheetcake...

nefcook21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefcook21 Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 5:53am
post #21 of 62

I'm here but I'm about to go to bed. Just finished up a wedding shower cake and 6 dozen cake balls. I'm done for the weekend and tomorrow I'll be getting ready for vacation. We are going to the mountains of Colorado to escape this Texas heat!

Best wishes to all you Friday Nighters!

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

CambriasCakes Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 5:54am
post #22 of 62

[quote="leahs"]Cambria,
Do you stand on a mat? Do you wear Dansko clogs or similar? Do you wear chef socks? Only things that save me on these long days/nights.

Leah, I don't have a mat....I've had my eye on them though and I really want one! Need one, actually. Usually I'm ok but I was wearing a different pair of tennis shoes than I normally wear and it was not a good thing. Where can I find chef socks??

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 5:57am
post #23 of 62

Amy, I think adding a little red to the pumpkin orange would do the trick.

I'm going to be up for hours tonight too...All I have to do is my daughter's cake but I'm really dragging tail on it. Her party is Sunday afternoon and I have fondant Dora sitting on top of a loopy bow, and a handful of flowers made (kids ate the rest, except for the ones they knocked on the floor). I have to bake the cakes and make two batches of MMF tonight. It's a trial run for next weekend when I'm making my first tiered cake for a non-relative. That will probably go more smoothly because I won't let myself be this lazy.

Part of the problem is that it's raining here and I'm coming down with a cold, and I'm so sore I can barely move. So I've been at the computer since 10:30 telling myself I'd get going on stuff as soon as I quit hurting, and it hasn't happened yet.

Amy729 Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 6:13am
post #24 of 62

Everytime I have one of these nights, I keep chanting "I hate cakes. I am not going to do cakes ANYMORE!"

I need sleep...

leah_s Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 6:16am
post #25 of 62

Shannie, I got the recipe for the sugar free icing here at CC from the recipe section. It's easy and tasty.

Cambria, I jsut got a pack of the mats that fit together from Home Depot. they were about $25 a pack and you get 4 pieces, I think. Anyway its a lot of mat.

Chef socks, let me warn you run $15 a pair, but they really, really do help. They're basically army boot socks. Google chef socks and they might come up. I think that's how I found them initially.

Amy729 Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 6:18am
post #26 of 62

Thanks Texas Rose, I will try that. I really don't want to start over at 2:30 in the morning.

sadiepix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadiepix Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 6:20am
post #27 of 62

Oh neat! I will hop in too!

I am doing 2 cakes tonight, but both are for my DH's B-day Sunday. I am a nite owl so I prefer to be up all night doing these, plus it is cooler.

I am doing a cake shaped like the head of Rorshach (from the graphic novel Watchmen) with the fedora. I wanted his mask to look sort of like what a real one would, so I have a gelatin overlay (clear) to figure our how to lay on the cake...eek.

The other is a kettle grill, and this is my first serious attempt at gumpaste/fondant figures. I can do a few flowers, but I am not great. Darn hands just won't do what my brain thinks they can...icon_wink.gif
But I did manage some corn, burgers, veggies and hot dogs, plus some flowers and grass for the base.

Sadly, I broke the layer that was supposed to be the lid, but since it is just for us and a few friends, I am NOT redoing it.

Neat to read about what everyone is up to this late!

CambriasCakes Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 6:22am
post #28 of 62

Cambria, I jsut got a pack of the mats that fit together from Home Depot. they were about $25 a pack and you get 4 pieces, I think. Anyway its a lot of mat.

Chef socks, let me warn you run $15 a pair, but they really, really do help. They're basically army boot socks. Google chef socks and they might come up. I think that's how I found them initially.[/quote]

No way! $25 at Home Depot? I didn't even think to look there - duh! The mats I saw were the ones in the restaurant supply catalog and in the back of the Martha Stewart catalog but those go for over $100! Guess what I'm doing tomorrow?? "Gotta big day planned.....going to the Home Depot...!"

Shannie13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannie13 Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 6:34am
post #29 of 62

Thanks Leahs, I made sure and bookmarked it!

Have a great night everyone! Happy decorating

micnmax2003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
micnmax2003 Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 6:41am
post #30 of 62

Everyone is asleep...finally! Working on my first gumpaste/fondant "person" figure & making a couple batches of mock whipped frosting...preparing for son's bday cake next wk icon_biggrin.gif Anyone here know how far in advance I can prepare whipped chocolate ganache to be used as a filling?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%