Phone In Lake = Lost Client Phone Numbers

Decorating By cakesbycathy Updated 15 Aug 2008 , 2:40am by CakeMakar

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 1:18am
post #1 of 7

So, long story short, I had to jump in our lake to save a 4 year old from drowning (she's fine BTW) and of course my cell phone was in my pocket!
I got the phone replaced, but due to "extensive water damage" could not get my contact list transferred to the new phone.

I lost all my numbers, including those of some of my customers icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

I emailed pretty much everyone to please send me their contact numbers, but there were one or two people in there that I only had phone numbers for, no email addresses icon_confused.gif Thankfully, I don't have any orders for those people, but just the idea that all my numbers are gone just makes me want to cry icon_cry.gif

6 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 1:59am
post #2 of 7

Phones are replaceable, your child is not.

Just my opinion -

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Cakerer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakerer Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 2:21am
post #3 of 7

Sorry this happened to you. I know how frustrating that is. Did you check with your cell servicer to see if there is anything you can do to prevent this from happening in the future? I think verizon / alltel allow you to upload your list to their website or somewhere so they store it for you just in case the phone gets fried or something like this.

By the way - I'm very glad your little one is ok. We just spent several days at the beach and the surf was very rough. I had to watch my 5 yr old like you wouldn't believe and I was terrified the entire time. We eventually went to the kiddie pool!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 2:35am
post #4 of 7

I just spent the last 2 days going through the orders for the past year to retrieve numbers and addresses to create a new file. Because of a recent puter mishap I lost quite a bit of information. I didn't lose anything major but it got me thinking to definitely keep a paper file as well just in case something happens to the puter again.

Did you happen, possibly, to have written the info down somewhere?

Lady_Phoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 2:36am
post #5 of 7

With my cell provider I cam go online and see the details of all calls made and received on my phone. If you know when you spoke to those customers, you can retrieve the numbers that way. Glad the little one is okay.

linda2530 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linda2530 Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 2:37am
post #6 of 7

If it was a contract phone and you have called these folks before, wouldn't their numbers show up on your bill? My bill has every number we call during a month, and I bet your provider could get you a copy of your bills past and present.
Linda2530

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 2:40am
post #7 of 7

I agree you should have a hard copy or at least something like an Outlook address book (i.e. online) to keep important numbers, address, customer history. (I use Quickbooks.) Cell phones are so often lost or damaged.

Glad your kid is okay. icon_biggrin.gif

One day my bf and I were walking home in HS and I put my arm around him and knocked his pager off his waist. We both went for it, but I ended up kicking it instead. It slid across the sidewalk, and under the guardrail of the bridge we were going over and fell down down down and plopped into Lake #4! He paged it "goodbye" when we got to his house.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%