Method For Quick Hydrangea

Decorating By jules1719 Updated 14 Aug 2008 , 7:18pm by DollyCakes

jules1719 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules1719 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 10:18pm
post #1 of 6

This is a cross post.

Does anyone have a good method for making wired hydrangea quickly? They don't need to be hyper-realistic. I've seen interesting hydrangea on Ron Ben Israel cakes and wonder if anyone has an idea how they are formed.

Currently, I make a hollow cone and cut it into four followed by smoothing the petals with my thumb and forefinger.

I know "fast" and "gumpaste flower" aren't synonymous, yet...

Any ideas?

5 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 3:58am
post #2 of 6

icon_sad.gif Oh honey, run out and buy this! It's worth it's weight in gold..

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=19020

I use these and I can make about 75 flowers in 30 minutes and I'm slow! icon_lol.gif It's super-easy to do. Just cut and press them for a second in the silicon mold. (Doing them on wires would take a bit longer, admittedly...but faster than whatever you are doing now, that's for sure.) Here are some pics of the finished flowers on stuff....
LL
LL
LL

kacurtis403 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kacurtis403 Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 4:09am
post #3 of 6

Thanks for the info Antonia74. It seems to be out of stock but i'm on the hunt to find it. I really like the way they look and it seems really easy to use.

shorty56 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shorty56 Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 4:13am
post #4 of 6

you can also get a set at:
http://www.jenniferdontz.com under cutter/veiner sets. jen ships really fast!

DollyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DollyCakes Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 7:16pm
post #5 of 6

oh yeah, we have that hydrangea cutter and mold - it is great! So far since June, we've made about 1,200 flowers with it! We had a 700 mini cupcake event and each cupcake had its own gumpaste tropical colored flower on it (the hydrangea looks similar to a lei flower when it's dried flat and made into bright tropical colors), we had a shower cake that had about 400 individual purple hydrangeas on it - half on stems, half not, and we've done another event with about 600 mini cupcakes and every other one had a pink or green gumpaste hydrangea on it.

I highly recommend this cutter/mold.

To put them on stems is a bit of a PITA, but after you get in a groove, it's do'able. icon_smile.gif

DollyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DollyCakes Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 7:18pm
post #6 of 6

oh yeah, we have that hydrangea cutter and mold - it is great! So far since June, we've made about 1,200 flowers with it! We had a 700 mini cupcake event and each cupcake had its own gumpaste tropical colored flower on it (the hydrangea looks similar to a lei flower when it's dried flat and made into bright tropical colors), we had a shower cake that had about 400 individual purple hydrangeas on it - half on stems, half not, and we've done another event with about 600 mini cupcakes and every other one had a pink or green gumpaste hydrangea on it.

I highly recommend this cutter/mold.

To put them on stems is a bit of a PITA, but after you get in a groove, it's do'able. icon_smile.gif
LL
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%