Help, Fondant Not Going On Smooth?

Decorating By pmaucher Updated 13 Aug 2008 , 7:01pm by pmaucher

pmaucher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmaucher Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 3:01pm
post #1 of 7

I am having a problem putting fondant on my cakes. In the how to videos, it looks like the fondant is laying flat on the sides of round cakes. Then you just trim the excess off the bottom of the cake. Easy, right!

But when I'm putting my fondant on, I always have excess on two sides of the cake. I then have to trim and try to cover up the seem. You can notice this on my topsy turvy cake. Does anyone have an idea why this is happening or is this normal?

Pam

6 replies
Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 3:09pm
post #2 of 7

Make sure when you are applying the fondant that you are smoothing straight down the sides of the cake and not at an angle. If you smooth on an angle at all you will end up with excess on the side.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 3:12pm
post #3 of 7

You don't try to smooth the sides by going around the sides... smooth the top of the cake, then work your way DOWN the sides of the cake. If you start to get gathers of fondant, gently pull the gathered section away fromt he cake and re-smooth.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 3:27pm
post #4 of 7

If you have too much icing on the cake under the fondant it will cause problems with smoothing also.

Jibbies

wjmonte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wjmonte Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 5:57pm
post #5 of 7

have you gotten sugarshacks flawless fondant dvd yet???
she tells you exactly how to do everything you need to cover the most beautiful cakes with fondnat.
theres little tips and tricks in there also to make it even more flawless!

but in the meantime, do like mentioned about, smooth from top of cake, top edges then down the sides, lifting the edges to get the air out and to remove the folds in the fodnant that is extra. YOu actually need to roll your fondant out too big so that you have that excess to use to striaght out the wrinkles and folds. make sense?

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 6:13pm
post #6 of 7

Ateco has a great video showing how to apply fondant. Here's the link:

http://atecousa.net/learn/satin-ice-tutorial-i-icing-your-cake.html

pmaucher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmaucher Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 7:01pm
post #7 of 7

After wathcing the video, I think you all are right, I may have been smoothing sideways icon_redface.gif .

I will let you know how my next fondant adventure turns out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%