Chocolate, Caramel And Sea Salt....

Decorating By psurrette Updated 19 Feb 2009 , 1:39am by kellertur

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 2:48pm
post #1 of 24

Has anyone tried this combo yet?

Sae Salt is the rage in CA and the store I work at during the school year makes this as candy and its pretty good!. I was thinking of cake like this

Chocolate cupcake with caramel filling, ganache frosting & Sea Salt

23 replies
mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 2:53pm
post #2 of 24

i love lovelove sweet and salty combos. i have a recipe for a cookie, where you add sea salt onto the top, and i swear it really stepped up the recipe! i've never had it on a cupcake though.

i've been eating the candy "turtles" for a long time, they're one of my favorite things. one day, i ate a few, was still hungry, so i went to the kitchen and grabbed some saltines...wow!! i guess i still had some of the caramel flavor in my mouth, and the saltiness of hte saltines really pumped up the flavor.

sounds totally weird, i know, but it's so good!

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 3:10pm
post #3 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurrette

Chocolate cupcake with caramel filling, ganache frosting & Sea Salt

I think it sounds fantastic! So yum.

I recently became a fan of the sea salt & chocolate combination. My parents went to Vegas earlier this year, and I asked them to stop by the Voges Haut Chocolat there in the Forum Shoppes and pick me up a couple of the Naga truffles (talk about yum! icon_biggrin.gif ). They also brought me back this little box of sample chocolate bars. One in the pack was called the Barcelona Bar, with milk chocolate, smoked almonds, and grey sea salt. I swear, with one bite, I was in chocolate nirvana! icon_lol.gif I'm saving my pennies to buy more!

jenny518 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenny518 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 9:54pm
post #4 of 24

Dumb question, but how do you keep the salt from dissolving in a cake filling? I guess you place the salt within the chocolate??

jules1719 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules1719 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 10:26pm
post #5 of 24

The salt complements the caramel, not the chocolate per se. Always add a pinch of salt to the caramel, or add a bit of salted butter to the caramel.

I've seen small caramels or bon bons garnished with a bit of super coarse sea salt, like Fleur de Sel, but I wouldn't sprinkle salt on a big cupcake.

I wouldn't make a salted chocolate ganache, but salted caramel is a different story.

One of my cakes is brown sugar pecan cake, salted caramel, salted caramel buttercream, milk chocolate ganache and caramelized bananas. The salt makes the components sing.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 12:07am
post #6 of 24

I love fleur de sel with caramel (a natural pairing), but also with chocolate. I garnish my enrboed caramel mou with it, but i also put a small sprinkle on my brownies just before baking (and no it's doesn't dissolve in completely). It just that little extra touch that makes them PERFECT and people go mad for them (that's one recipe I can't share--the fleur de sel is about the only secret I can give up on those lol).

eatdessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatdessert1st Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 8:18am
post #7 of 24

Paula,
It sounds delicious! Do you have a recipe? I'd love to try it!

Melanie Mc.

PS edited to say I found a great sounding recipe on epicurious. Instead of making truffles you could just whip it for a filling. I'll try it soon.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/CARAMEL-DARK-CHOCOLATE-TRUFFLES-WITH-FLEUR-DE-SEL-109085

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 8:28am
post #8 of 24

That sounds absolutely heavenly!

I make a sea salt ice cream that's absolutely delicious, and now I'm wondering what would happen if I made chocolate sea salt ice cream...

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 5:47am
post #9 of 24

I'll be darned if I don't learn something new everyday here. thumbs_up.gif

hula1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hula1974 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 8:23pm
post #10 of 24

Do you have a recipe for your salted caramel buttercream?
I'm going to make popcorn cupcakes and I'm thinking of making them in the flavors of caramel corn.

calivettie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calivettie Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 8:32pm
post #11 of 24

Sounds delish! In the book "BAKED", there is a similar recipe and they say it is one of their most famous cakes at their bakery. Most people love that salty sweet combination.

When reading the OP, I couldn't help but think of a snickers, that has a similar feel with the salted peanuts... and boy o boy do I love those! lol icon_smile.gif

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 9:26pm
post #12 of 24

Mmmm, chocolate & salt...yummy!!

When I was a kid and would visit my aunt's mom for the summer, she would always give me saltines with chocolate frosting on them. Yum!

Now, I love anything with chocolate & salt. I like to put Nutella on pretzles (those flat pretzles are awesome). At christmas we take a pretzle snap (the square ones), top it with a Hershey's Kiss, bake, then stick an M&M on the top. Yum! Sometimes I will just eat pretzles & M&Ms. h, and chocolate covered popcorn, that's good as long as it is salted.

Hmm, salt on the brownies, sounds like I need to try that!

My husband gave me a few truffles for St. Valentine's Day. One had caramel center topped with salt. It was ok, I didn't really care for the caramel, I thought it took away from the chocolate flavor! icon_smile.gif

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 11:34pm
post #13 of 24

We only use sea salt in our home. I make my own sea salted caramel, and that combo is delicious. It makes for an incredible buttercream variation.

(I don't use salt in my BC, I didn't like that addition at all.)

zoomzone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoomzone Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 11:52pm
post #14 of 24

As for Snickers- check out this wicked thread
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-607601-snickers.html

I have made these w/o the peanuts (Milky way) and I did add a lil extra salt to the caramel, so friggin' good!
Melvira's Caramel recipe is the best. thumbs_up.gif

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 11:54pm
post #15 of 24

Yes, I made these for Valentine's Day. Caramel brownies with sea salt from the grinder over the top and then drizzled. They were really tasty and a huge hit. I think it's the sweet and salty thing that just nails it when you have the munchies.

I know the upscale bakeries are using larger salt, like that found on a pretzel and if I can get my hands on some, I will try that next.

suzie1962 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzie1962 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 12:00am
post #16 of 24

jules1719:

any chance of getting that cake recipe? It sounds amazing!!

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 12:35am
post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules1719

One of my cakes is brown sugar pecan cake, salted caramel, salted caramel buttercream, milk chocolate ganache and caramelized bananas. The salt makes the components sing.

sweety merciful mother of God. I'm drooling.......... I'm not kidding, I need a napkin or something. icon_lol.gif

kellertur Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 1:33am
post #18 of 24

I make a salted caramel within my German Choc cake filling.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 1:39am
post #19 of 24

I make moulded chocolates with a sprinkle of sea salt on top. I buy sea salt flakes from Chef Johnny's products. He has many different varieties and I just love them.

pamconn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamconn Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 2:32pm
post #20 of 24

Does it need to be a special kind or brand of sea salt? Do you use it as is or grind it up a bit?

kellertur Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 6:15pm
post #21 of 24

Personally, I prefer the gourmet larger crystals. (Not SUPER huge, but moderate grains). I don't grind it at all. If I'm lucky, the crystals don't completely disolve in the sauce, so there's a bit of a texture going on. (I'm sure others will think I'm crazy, just my preference. icon_smile.gif )

I don't think the brand matters, but I usually use Maine sea salt, and buy it in bulk.

If you are using it in icing (I don't use salt in icing) I would opt for the smaller grain, as it might separate in the icing.

pamconn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamconn Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 12:04am
post #22 of 24

Thank you for the answer. I wasn't sure if the container just needed to say sea salt or if I needed to go to World Market and purchase some expensive brand.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 12:43am
post #23 of 24

If you all like the salty, caramel, chocolate combo try this super easy recipe......every age will go nuts over these they are always a hit.

Around here they're called Rumstick Crunch (don't know why)

Line a 15" cookie sheet with reynold's wrap and spray w/pam or any cooking spray.

Use 1 sleeve of "salted" Saltine crackers to line the bottom of the pan (it usually takes 35 crackers) set aside.

In a medium sauce pan melt 1cup (2 sticks) salted butter with 1 cup of dk brown sugar. Bring to a slow boil stirring constantly. Remove from heat and pour directly over crackers. Spread evenly to cover.

Bake at 350 for 10 to 15 minutes or until bubbling.

Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle a 12oz bag of semi sweet choc chips over top. Wait a few minutes and spread to coat the entire surface. Sprinkle with about 1cup of chopped pecans, walnuts or peanuts, whatever you have on hand is fine. Pecans are my favorite.

Refrigerate til firm and break into pieces as you would peanut brittle.

They taste like a salty, buttery, chocolate, nutty toffee crunch. My kids LOVE these, but they are like potato chips, you can't eat just one.
Enjoy!

P.S. Love Sea Salt too.......use it in all my cooking and on the table in a grinder!

kellertur Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 1:39am
post #24 of 24

dKelly~ (hello there icon_wink.gif ) Don't you love living near the ocean? I sure do!!! WARNING: mind wondering...

Those take me back to 1997~ someone made something similar for my MIL and they were incredible. Mini-turtle-ish saltine crackers.

I can't find vegan saltines, but my favorite was making my~
(brace yourselves) Saltine Pizzas. icon_biggrin.gif circa 1995...
I was trying to imitate "cracker crust". Sorry to digress, but your answer just threw me back into the past when I first met my husband and I was still in college... I used to make these all the time. The house reeked of parmesian cheese and soggy saltines... good times. icon_smile.gif

If only I had a Tardis... icon_rolleyes.gif where is David Tennant when you need him most??? princess.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%